Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phaze_3

twp trumps ato -- but which twp?

phaze-3
17 years ago

OK, after lurking in the forums and reading almost everything pressurepros and friends have written, I've abandoned plans to use Cabot's ATO on my soon-to-be-laid 10x7' T&G mahogany porch floor. Looking at the TWP web site, there seem to be several products -- TWP 100,200,300,& 500. 200 is for roof shingles, but what is the difference between 100,300 and 500, which all seem to be ok for mahogany decking? Are my requirements different with a tight T&G floor as opposed to spaced deck boards?

This is a covered porch on an old home, but it gets Southern exposure sun, a fair amount of road grime, and typical NJ snow, which isn't consistently huge, but can sometimes give us a good dumping of a foot or more. Looked at Tendura composite boards, but they run a buck more per foot over mahogany.

Comments (6)

• andersog
    17 years ago

I'm interested in the response to this question. I know John Hyatt is a proponent of the wet-on-wet TWP system, but I'm looking for a 1 coat system, realizing I will have to redo it every year. How does TWP work in a 1 coat application, and has anyone used the 500 series (ie low VOC) in this way with success?

I've heard mixed ATO results- it seems some have success with it as long as they recoat every year, but those who use the low-VOC version are very disappointed.

I've also heard negative POV on Messmer's (apparently susceptible to black mold), but my local paint guy strongly recommends it over other treatments.

Phaze, note in NJ you are in a low VOC state hence you could not get the TWP 100 series legally. I would have concerns about using the low VOC 500 series.

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

I got a gal of the 516, the test came out real good. A person can do a search on this site and find others who have used it. If you cant get the 116 go with the 516.

One coat of any outdoor finish is not going to last all that long.The second coat of 116/516 can go on right away or the next year with the same results. J

• andersog
    17 years ago

John, so in other words 1 coat now, a second coat next summer? Is there an issue applying a penetrating sealer over a previously sealed surface?

Would it be better just to restore each year with PressurePro's RAD system and then treat with 1 coat, year after year?

• john_hyatt
    17 years ago

I like Ken's stuff, I use it my own self when we restore decking projects,you can use it as well every year if your so inclined.

I dont use the rad on a new project or when adding a second coat of twp116 to a deck that hasent been negelected.TWP 116 is a build coat system so far my 5 year old deck out back has multi coats on it to the point the cap rail has a simi gloss finish. This came about with cleaning/water hose as the only prep.

We have been thru this over here before you might use the little search thing on this site for more info. Anyway with twp116 you can put the second coat on right after the first or the next day or the next month or the next year. If you dont take care of your project and what to refinish because mold has set in or the ipe has gone silver then use the rad. J

• mjh5
    17 years ago

Andersog,

If you are looking for a 1 coat system using TWP I suggest you review the posts "review of rad system and twp #516 on ipe deck". "Sweet11395" put down a single coat of TWP 516 and it faded badly in just a few weeks. He intends to put a second coat down. Pressurepros is generally against putting a second coat over a dry coat of TWP because he believes it will form a film which will eventually have to be stripped off. John Hyatt disagrees, but has yet to post any pictures of his deck with multiple coats.

I had a single coat of ATO (low VOC formular) put on my Ipe deck, which gets a lot of sun. After 4 months it has faded quite a bit, but still looks acceptable. Essentially it looked good during the late spring - Fall season. Next year it will get another coat of ATO, or perhaps of PressurePros new product.
    Marty

• cj_8_jim
    13 years ago

For future readers considering TWP 116 (or it's low VOC cousing TWP 516)....

Be forewarned.... TWP116 and TWP516 (both named rustic oak) really look like redwood... not oak. Definitely red.

Unfortunately I wanted brown. Now I have 2 unused 5 gallon containers of TWP 116 (I'm in the Chicago suburbs).

Anyone interested in buying it from me (click on my user name in this post and then click "send me an email").

If I could do it over on my Ipe deck, I'd use TWP 120 Pecan.

Jim