Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Olympic Maximum vs Sherwin Williams Deckscapes

Posted by prgsdw (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 3, 07 at 8:40

Hello everyone. We have a week old pressure treated deck on a southern exposure that gets hit with sun basically all day long (none of it is in the shade). We are in central to southeastern Pennsylvania. We'd like to use a semi-transparent in a cedar color on our deck. We have been researching here and have discovered we should probably be looking for an oil based, penetrating semi-transparent product. I'd prefer to buy the product locally and have begun to think that Olympic Maximum (the oil based version) would be a good selection for us.

We've had good experience with Sherwin Williams paint products so I contacted them this morning regarding their deckscapes product which, we were told, is water based. I was kind of suprised to hear that as we read many posts here recommending the Sherwin Williams (and other paint store products) as better than the big box store products, but also that oil based would be better than water based - so bottom line is I'm confused. :)

So out of the two above - which would be better given our location, wood and color choice? The Olympic Maximum claims 5 years of protection, but we're not under any illusion that we may not be doing this again in 2 years. :) Thanks!

Steve

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Olympic Maximum vs Sherwin Williams Deckscapes

Well, we decided we're going to pass on the Sherwin Williams Deckscapes and go with the Olympic Maximum as it is an oil based penetrating stain and I trust that to hold up better than the waterbourne product from Sherwin Williams.

o

Prgsdw,

How has the Olympic Mazimun held up?

o

Has anyone used the Sherwin Williams stuff? I have had to estimates for work on my deck and they both say to use this product.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here