Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stair Stringer Spacing

Posted by centraljerseyguy (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 07 at 8:08

I am about to build the stairs to my deck. I have determined that the stringers will have a rise of 7 1/4" and a tread of 11" and I need to have 7 steps. My steps will be 90" wide. I am using Timbertech boards. How many stringers do I need? Those of you who used composites, how far did you space the stringers?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stair Stringer Spacing

TimberTech says no more than 12" OC for stair stringers (here: http://timbertech.com/pdf/installation.pdf)

The configuration of my little platform forced me to have "odd" stringer spacing (the platform is cantilevered and the beam was in the way if I did 12" OC, so I actually ended up with a couple 11" OC, 12" OC, etc). Ive installed the decking on the steps, and I have to say they feel pretty darn solid! I know I read a lot of stuff about people saying a composite deck doesnt feel "solid" but so far Im just not seeing it (it might have something to do with the quality of the product........I lifted a 20' piece of TT Floorizon and it had very little bow in it, but a 16' piece of Trex ends up looking like a bell curve if you lift it in the middle).

Good luck.

-Chris

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here