Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting old stain off

Posted by napoleonxv (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 15, 06 at 2:45

The old stain on my deck has been wearing away, so I intended to remove it all and re-stain it (with the brand I'd read as top-rated in Consumer Reports). I bought a container of stripper, tried applying it to a couple of spots on the deck -- nothing came off at all. Tried another brand of stripper, same result. And yet I was able to remove the stain in some places just with my sneakers. So it seems like I can't take the old stain off, but at the same time I can't *not* take it off. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting old stain off

It sounds like you are talking about a solid. Solid stains are VERY difficult to remove. Nothing you can buy on the homeowner market is going to do the trick. Most professionals wouldn't even try to take on the job if they are experienced. You may have to resort to sanding it all off or just priming it and recoating with another solid like Cabot's or Deckscapes.

o

Can someone tell me how a stain can be a solid?
To me if it's a solid, it's paint.

o

All the 'stains' are paint, they just have varying amounts of pigment.

o

Solid stains are about as close to paint as you can get except the surface film is more breathable than paint. Pigmentation level is not what separates a solid satin from a penetrating one. That is too broad of a statement.

o

All the 'stains' you are using are paint formulations. They contain more or less solid pigment (that cannot penetrate anything) and differing levels of binder (some of which can penetrate depending on formula).
The pigment sits on top of the wood and is held in place by the binder. If there is enough binder present it mauy penetrate into the wood before hardening, but if you section a pices of wood after applying the finish you can typically see how shallow the penetration actually is.
Even aniline dye (a true penetrating 'stain') rarely goes much more than 1/16 of an inch in softwood without being driven in under pressure.

o

Now your answer is more complete, brick, but still not 100% accurate. I have seen Ready Seal (a paraffinic oil based sealer with no curing agents) penetrate halfway through a 2"x6" piece of cedar (as viewed via cross section).

o

That is a selaer, not a stain by any definition.
It is not the same.

o

Therein lies the discrepency. People use the words interchangeably. Other than a "solid", noone uses stain on an exterior wood job. Tinted wood sealers are the norm.

When someone says "stain" I automatically assume they are refering to a sealer unless they are talking about a solid. In which case yes, we are talking about watered down paint that forms a film and does not penetrate the wood.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here