Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure washing marks

Posted by mattan (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 15, 12 at 2:44

My painter pressure washed my deck despite me telling him I didn't want him doing anything to it. He did so carelessly and left marks. I just want him away from my house ASAP, so I'll be the one fixing it. (and I was planning to touch it up myself, any way).

It's an ipe deck. I plan to use the restore a deck system and then twp. ( I've done it before and it currently has twp on it.)

Questions: will the marks show through after after that process? Do I need to sand? If so, do I need to sand the whole deck so I don't have uneven stain from the sanding? (he also dripped paint and allowed it to dry, so I'm sanding that off anyway, so the last question stands even if the marks don't need to be sanded.

Thanks in advance, and thanks for all the past advice to others. It was invaluable when I was building/finishing my deck initially.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure washing marks

If you want the finish to be even and the pressure washing marks to not be visible yes you need to sand the entire deck. The next concern is how deep are the marks as your nails or screws may now all need to be reset deeper as well. Why in the world would he pressure washer it against your wishes and my other concern would be how much pressure did he use to put marks like that in an Ipe deck? You need to rethink whom you hire as well!

o
RE: Pressure washing marks

Moron. A pressure washer properly used is a handy tool. In the hands of someone who doesn't care it invites crap like this.
I hope you get the look you want in the end but it may take the sanding to do it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here