Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kawamida_gw

Waterlox or Lee Valley Tung Oil to seal a cedar porch?

kawamida
10 years ago

Please help us decide! Our beautiful new cedar front porch (modern, built by Japanese carpenter, yes I'm very pleased with it!) needs to be finished with some kind of sealer as we are in Canada and winter will be here before I blink twice. I am hoping to avoid the sad graying that befell our reclaimed cedar backyard deck that was never sealed!

Japanese carpenter recommended yearly application of an oil finish to preserve the natural beauty of the cedar (he painstakingly nailed from underneath so the uncut cedar planks would not be marred) but was unable to source for us. We're considering tung oil of some kind, either Waterlox (hard to get and really expensive) or Lee Valley (local). We have used waterlox indoors in past (maple counter tops) with very good results. Should I use the Waterlox Original or perhaps the Marine Finish? Though hard to get in Canada but my husband is in Seattle on business next week so could lug some Waterlox back to Toronto on the plane. Or I could just mosey down the street to get the Lee Valley Polymerized Tung Oil that no one I know has ever used. If you were me what would you do?? Thanks for your recos, love the GW!