Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soo Confused about deck materials!!

Posted by mpadronmd (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 12, 11 at 22:47

I have been reading all the differents comments about Timbertech XLM/Azek/Correct Deck CX. The more I read the more confused I feel . It seems that all of these products have major flaws, that people are very unhappy 6 months after installation. Is it worth the expense or should I use the old treated ACQ wood?
I already have permits for my deck and find myself at a crossroad.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soo Confused about deck materials!!

What flaws are you talking about?

When I built my deck I looked at XLM and CX - I liked CX a little better but a local lumber yard had XLM in stock at a good price so I went with that. Both are very hard and don't scratch easily. My deck is on the north side of the house and I didn't want any mold/mildew problems. I've been very happy with Timbertech XLM. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

o

Dennisgli:
I went to a deck magazine forum and noticed that regarding weight" For larger planters it will b eimportant to locate them in a way they lineup over the framing underneath...or sagging could occur overtime".
Anoter poster ( www.deckmastersli.com) discusses the issue of molding, staining, and the issue of weight issue. Granted these were older postings
On about.com a comparison of different products notes as the cons: issue of mold and mildew ( more in the shade), tends to sag and bends more than wood.
On a broadband report " wrenchnworks" writes that his TT " sunburns. Much of it has turned black and unsightly, some white...Only 1 1/2 yrs old. Deck was purchased about 8/2009"

THESE ARE THE THINGS I AM CONFUSED ABOUT WILL APPRECIATE CLARIFICATIONS IF CAN BE DONE.
Thanks

o

The only thing that I might agree with is PVC decking may sag more that wood. So I wouldn't use it as a structural component to support a planter. And you could reduce the joist spacing from 16 to 12 if that was a concern. My deck does have some irregularity but I'm pretty sure that is due to the supporting structure being uneven - I had to use some complex framing including a 5x14 diagonal laminated beam that the decking sits on. You can see a little unevenness where the decking crosses the beam.

For the molding, mildew, staining, and sunburning - are you sure that those were Timbertech XLM and not some other Timbertech product? After a few years my deck was getting a little grungy looking - but it cleaned up easily with some deck cleaner and looks as good as new. I can't see that pressure treated pine would be anything but worse in these areas - but it would be cheaper I guess.

o

NO reason to shout Md.Decking is not a heartbeat ya know.

Manmade decking/railing is not a miracle drug, it is an ever changing material, each pron to some imperfect trait, some of those traits are termial some are just inconvenient,none of them are perfect, all of them have some Folks that are happy with them and hate them.

All ManMade will require cleaning ,like washing your car,many deck clearners will work on some of them some of them will not respond to cleaning at all to the degree of a new look.

I agree with Den, if you decide on a pvc type decking put the joists on at least 12'' centers less if your plan is to put it on the bias. PT pine is way cheeper in cost and quality.

TimberTech has earned a high rating in the Business over the years with customer realtions and quality product.They are quick to get into the latest high teck.

Another quality outfit is Moisture Shield an advanced and respected Co that has stayed with Composite and refined it to the point it can be installed in or under the water. Very good product.

J.

o

Or,of course, you could go with South American decking and rail with alum balusters.

And be done with it.

J.

o

If that was an option would not be wasting a
Anyones time. THANKS.

o

What is your question?

Why do you keep shouting?

Are you trying to use this forum with a cell phone internet connection or something? Your not really making sense.

We are here to try and help, but you have to communicate clearly. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to write the old fashioned way. You are not wasting anybody's time. We are eager to share our experience, offer free advice, even provide step by step instructions. So where do you want to start?

o

Dear Aidan m, I am very sorry you could not follow my trend of thought. I do not think I am screaming, nor I intend to to confuse anyone. My confusion is that I noted that some of the composite materials including TT XLM tend to sag if weight is placed on them ( as noted by other forums and others members of this forum), they tend to grow mold/mildew, not sure what is the life span of these materials. They also are low maintenance. What would be the advantage of using these over wood? And by the way I can not use South american wood, etc..

o

There is no clear advantage to using composite over wood. Each person decides what values are important for their project: It may need to be: low cost, low maintenance, long lasting, light weight, extra strong, sustainable materials, or some combination of these values.

In my experience, wood beats out composite in every single area. Composites are heavy and flimsy. They sag. 12" joisting is required to exceed the minimum standards for residential building codes. All woods are lighter weight per span, with less deflection than composites.

The most common problem I've experienced with composites is deterioration. The way it deteriorates is worse than any wood; it's like wet particle board. They do tend to grow mold and mildew, but same for wood or anything outside.

A deck will last about as long as a car. Take a nice luxury car: If you garage it, wash and wax it frequently, keep up on the maintenance, it can last a lifetime. A piece of crap car will only last so long, no matter what you do. Some cars have a luxury name and price tag, but they are actually made the same as the econo-box cars. IMHO, composite deck materials are alot like that: An expensive name and price tag for particle-board material.

Western Red Cedar is considered one of the most sustainable and greenest building materials on earth. Read about British Columbia's Western Red Cedar industry.

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here