Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mpadronmd_gw

Soo Confused about deck materials!!

mpadronmd
12 years ago

I have been reading all the differents comments about Timbertech XLM/Azek/Correct Deck CX. The more I read the more confused I feel . It seems that all of these products have major flaws, that people are very unhappy 6 months after installation. Is it worth the expense or should I use the old treated ACQ wood?

I already have permits for my deck and find myself at a crossroad.

Thanks

Comments (9)

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

What flaws are you talking about?

When I built my deck I looked at XLM and CX - I liked CX a little better but a local lumber yard had XLM in stock at a good price so I went with that. Both are very hard and don't scratch easily. My deck is on the north side of the house and I didn't want any mold/mildew problems. I've been very happy with Timbertech XLM. Let me know if you have any specific questions.

• mpadronmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dennisgli:
    I went to a deck magazine forum and noticed that regarding weight" For larger planters it will b eimportant to locate them in a way they lineup over the framing underneath...or sagging could occur overtime".
    Anoter poster ( www.deckmastersli.com) discusses the issue of molding, staining, and the issue of weight issue. Granted these were older postings
    On about.com a comparison of different products notes as the cons: issue of mold and mildew ( more in the shade), tends to sag and bends more than wood.
    On a broadband report " wrenchnworks" writes that his TT " sunburns. Much of it has turned black and unsightly, some white...Only 1 1/2 yrs old. Deck was purchased about 8/2009"

THESE ARE THE THINGS I AM CONFUSED ABOUT WILL APPRECIATE CLARIFICATIONS IF CAN BE DONE.
    Thanks

• dennisgli
    12 years ago

The only thing that I might agree with is PVC decking may sag more that wood. So I wouldn't use it as a structural component to support a planter. And you could reduce the joist spacing from 16 to 12 if that was a concern. My deck does have some irregularity but I'm pretty sure that is due to the supporting structure being uneven - I had to use some complex framing including a 5x14 diagonal laminated beam that the decking sits on. You can see a little unevenness where the decking crosses the beam.

For the molding, mildew, staining, and sunburning - are you sure that those were Timbertech XLM and not some other Timbertech product? After a few years my deck was getting a little grungy looking - but it cleaned up easily with some deck cleaner and looks as good as new. I can't see that pressure treated pine would be anything but worse in these areas - but it would be cheaper I guess.

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

NO reason to shout Md.Decking is not a heartbeat ya know.

Manmade decking/railing is not a miracle drug, it is an ever changing material, each pron to some imperfect trait, some of those traits are termial some are just inconvenient,none of them are perfect, all of them have some Folks that are happy with them and hate them.

All ManMade will require cleaning ,like washing your car,many deck clearners will work on some of them some of them will not respond to cleaning at all to the degree of a new look.

I agree with Den, if you decide on a pvc type decking put the joists on at least 12'' centers less if your plan is to put it on the bias. PT pine is way cheeper in cost and quality.

TimberTech has earned a high rating in the Business over the years with customer realtions and quality product.They are quick to get into the latest high teck.

Another quality outfit is Moisture Shield an advanced and respected Co that has stayed with Composite and refined it to the point it can be installed in or under the water. Very good product.

J.

• john_hyatt
    12 years ago

Or,of course, you could go with South American decking and rail with alum balusters.

And be done with it.

J.

• mpadronmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If that was an option would not be wasting a
    Anyones time. THANKS.

• aidan_m
    12 years ago

What is your question?

Why do you keep shouting?

Are you trying to use this forum with a cell phone internet connection or something? Your not really making sense.

We are here to try and help, but you have to communicate clearly. Sometimes it takes a little more effort to write the old fashioned way. You are not wasting anybody's time. We are eager to share our experience, offer free advice, even provide step by step instructions. So where do you want to start?

• mpadronmd
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dear Aidan m, I am very sorry you could not follow my trend of thought. I do not think I am screaming, nor I intend to to confuse anyone. My confusion is that I noted that some of the composite materials including TT XLM tend to sag if weight is placed on them ( as noted by other forums and others members of this forum), they tend to grow mold/mildew, not sure what is the life span of these materials. They also are low maintenance. What would be the advantage of using these over wood? And by the way I can not use South american wood, etc..

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years