Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malibujason79

Patio Stairs Advise

malibujason79
9 years ago

I'm looking for some advise for the design of new patio stairs. I removed a small deck and had a new concrete poured. When the deck was removed, I left the ledger board attached to the house, as I will use this to help attach new stairs. I would like to use composite wood for the stairs but unsure of the design. I do not need the stairs the full length of the door since it only opens on one side. However if I don't build them the full length of the door, I feel that the new stairs will not look symmetrical.
One thought is to build basic stairs the width of the door and build flower boxes on either side. Another thought is to build box stairs. Where the stairs get smaller as they go up.
I'm open to any ideas and If you have pictures, thats a plus.

Thanks

Comments (11)

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

I'd go full width, anything else will just look wrong. Then you can set flower pots on the unused half if you like.

• malibujason79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the reply karin. Even though this is not leading directly into a door,here is what I was thinking with the flower boxes.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Since the height isn't very much, I'd probably do a box stair with the bottom step the width of the entire bump-out and the 2nd step the width of the full sliding door.

Equally good choice would be box stairs the width of the door going straight down, with flower boxes filling up the space between the door and the edge of the bump-out.

BTW, box steps just refers to the method of construction; they don't have to be "pyramidal." Since it looks like you only need 2 steps, I'd go with box construction because it's a bit simpler than stringers.

• malibujason79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The top of the ledger board is 17" from the ground. I would like to only have 2 steps, but that would make 8 1/2" risers. I thought I read that the max rise should be 7 3/4", but will 3/4" over the max rise make a big diference. Making 3 step would be alittle over 5 1/2". I'm trying to keep the steps from sticking out to far from the house. I'm also undecided if I should do a double width on top step and standard width on the rest.

Thanks for everyones input so far.

• sunnyca_gw
    9 years ago

Consider what you will use the steps for. If you entertain a lot & carry food & all out that can be hard with narrow step on top or carrying little ones in & out. My son's house had 2 narrow steps & people kept falling off. He put in long & wider steps, it was front entrance so he used concrete. Wood landing would be safer., in your case, but maybe you folks leave door open while entertaining so the area just inside would be your "landing".

• lmich9
    9 years ago

I would do the full length of the door - that's how I've always seen it. Also consider if you ever replace your sliding door and rearrange the furniture you might want it to open on the other side - or some day you or a future HO may want French doors.

• malibujason79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I went with box stairs and I'm happy with the results so far. I plan stain/paint once the wood has dried out. Now I need to figure out the flower boxes for the sides. Size and design. Anymore input?

Thanks again to all who have replied.

• malibujason79
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another angle.

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

Nice work! I think I'd make the flower boxes take up the rest of the width of that bump-out and go out to the bottom of the stairs.

And I'd make them a bit taller than the top stair. ...maybe a few inches below that outlet on the RH side.

• B J
    8 years ago

Your stairs look great. I'm going to do a 7x3 feet landing and stairs like this. Mine will be a little lower to the ground and will have stairs on the 7 feet and one 3 feet side. I'm also going above an existing concrete patio,

Some contractors have preferred not to attach a ledger to the side of my stucco house in favor of making it free standing. Seems safer from a moisture perspective to not have to go into the stucco, but I could be wrong.

What type of wood did you use? I'm considering Redwood/IPE. Did you also consider some type of stone for this vs. wood? I'm trying to make that decision now.

• sunnyca_gw
    8 years ago

Glad to see you made that top step wider, easier to open the sliding door with kid under your arm etc. Flower boxes should be few inches taller than steps & end where the bottom step ends so no one can step into them by accident!