Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to seal my privacy fence

Posted by papercamera (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 21:53

Hi everyone! I have a 6' privacy fence, made with pressure treated wood. I bought the house in '95, and the fence was there, and was somewhat weathered, so it's not a new fence. I initially used Behr premium semi-transparent waterproofing stain, then I moved on to Cabot semi-transparent decking stain on the outside of the fence, but that was years ago. I'd like to seal the fence again, and would love to use something that I could maybe spray on, like a water sealer? I feel like if the process of treating the fence isn't arduous, I'll be more likely to keep up with it every year or so.

I'm wondering if this will work over the stain, which is now several years old, and what products to use. Any suggestions on product to use, or avoid? Also, what prep is necessary? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to seal my privacy fence

I would suggest using something like HD-80 to strip off all of the old finish, and start from scratch. If you keep up with the finish every year or so, when it first starts to loose its luster, then touch it up the finish will stay looking new much longer. There are several different types of product out there to choose from, one with a higher amount of resin in it, will last longer, and one with a higher amount of pigment will offer more protection from the sun, and its harmful rays. If you have any questions I would be happy to tell you all that I know.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here