Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Good quality and effective patio misters? Pumps?

jaxo
11 years ago

I have an uncovered patio, and there a no shade trees. Summer temps June to September range from 90s-110 degrees hot with low humidity.

I plan to get a couple of patio umbrellas that can be moved and tilted to provide shade as needed where people would sit, but I think it will still be too hot to be comfortable on hot afternoons even under the shade of an umbrella.

I had an idea to get a patio misting system and was looking at kits online ranging from $15 to $50, but after reading reviews, I don't think I will be satisfied with the results.

People complain of cheap plastic construction, leaks, clogs and mixed performance. Some say they are fine and work well, others say they get wet from too much water or the wind blows the fine cooling away so they don't feel any benefit.

I decided to find something that would be a step up from cheap kits like Misty Mate.

The next thing I found were high end kits that cost $1500 or more and require a high pressure pump you plug that needs electricity. Most of the cost is the cost of the pump.

I'm surprised there is not anything else in between Misty Mate-quality cheap, throwaway kits and this.

If a $1500 kit works extremely well, I will consider it because that's still a fraction of the cost of installing quality patio cover.

I would install the misting system under the eaves of a single story house (roughly 8 feet from the ground) and point the mist at an angle so the cooling area covers up to about 10 feet out from the house. Should this work?

What do people put their misting system pumps? They don't look like they are designed to be out in the weather. Looks ugly too.

One concern I have is since there is no patio cover, the pump would be exposed to the weather. Are they designed for that or does some kind of enclosure have to be built to protect the pump system? I don't have a closet or anything like that on my patio.

Comment (1)