Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda117117

Jatoba Who knows?

Linda
14 years ago

Still researching...had a local builder just about convince my husband that IPE was NOT the way to go. I'm so disappointed. He said eventually it will crack, split and its too much maintenance because it just will not hold a stain and the UV will just kill it. I'm not finding that people are saying that on this forum. So I started looking at Jatoba. The site I found says it gets darker red with the sun (like mahogoney) and you dont have to stain it, just put a UV blocker on it every few years? Can anyone confirm this NO STAIN STUFF? This seems too good to be true???

Comments (7)

• john_hyatt
    14 years ago

It is too good to be true. That local builder is so full of it his eyes are brown. Never used Jatoba. J.

• derekbertrand
    14 years ago

Jatoba is a very photosensitive wood and will turn color when exposed to the light within a short period of time. It will also turn color as it oxidizes which is more noticeable on interior applications. Jatoba is not as durable as Ipe and is prone to surface checking just as Ipe (and typically any species with a density greater than 750kg/m3) and does not even compete in hardness nor longevity. It really does depend on the climate and application when it comes to choosing the right type of wood. Where are you located? I can assure you though that with any species you choose and any environment, I have the right product for your wood because of it's look, longevity and maintenance. Please advise if interested any further.

• ffxjack
    14 years ago

Interesting comments about Jatoba. What happens in the Wash DC metro area where there are 4 seasons with humid summers? I'm thinking that the sun won't be an issue since there's a roof and I'm planning to use Sikkens DEK stain.

• rjcrjc
    13 years ago

I'm considering brazilian hardwoods as i'm redoing my old deck, approximately 600 sq ft.

From what we've seen online (have not seen in person), my wife and i like Jatoba, followed by ipe, followed by Garapa.

We are into 'no' maintenance and would prefer to be able to leave the deck alone over time. However, i do NOT like the graying that happens with pressure treated wood.

Questions:
    a) Jatoba does not seem to be talked about much. In a post from a couple years ago, John Hyatt was not real positive on it, indicating it is better suited for inside work. John -do you have any other experience with it? Or do you feel the same, that it is not suited for outside decking? I am in North Carolina, if it matters.
    b) With any of these woods - Jatoba, Ipe, or Garapa - is 4/4 wood thick enough to be used with 16" joists? will 5/4 feel better under foot? I am replacing a 2" thick decking and i liked the solid feel under my feet.
    c) Do any of these age better than others? Would really like to avoid maintenance and just leave it be. I see claims that the jatoba ages red, ipe silvery and garapa brown - can anyone set me straight on this?
    d) am i foolish to not want to do any maintenance? what maintenance *should* i do to keep it looking nice?

Thank you all for your help!

Rick

• john_hyatt
    13 years ago

Google up the stuff and anwser your own question.

No one talks about it because no one is using it on an outside project including my own self for good reason.

There is no no maintance. Anything exposed to the weather requires......>>> MAINTANCE Any and All wood left with no finish exposed to the weather will go silver / gray.

3/4'' ipe or garapa will be fine 16'' on center if the frame is built right.

You have joined a very large bunch of Folks that dont want to take care of an outdoor project at all. I got nothing else for Ya with a mind set like that. J.

• deck.builder
    13 years ago

Jatoba, also known as brazilian cherry....well, I have never heard of this being used as an outdoor material. It is more commonly used an interior flooring. I would follow Johns advice, google it to find out more info. Ipe is definitely the better choice in my mind, a proven outdoor champion for decking.

• dooer
    13 years ago

Like John said, all wood eventually turn silver gray exposed to the sun. None, in my mind, look better then ipe in this state.

That said, one of you mentioned that the deck will be covered. If that is the case, minimal maintenace is all that is needed to keep it looking good.