Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommy2034

IPE Wood ground clearance

Tommy2034
10 years ago

I am building a 700 sq foot deck behind my house. Location is central NJ, northern exposure, 3 sides open, one side against the house. Bottom side of the deck boards will be between 12 inches off the ground to 24 inches off the ground, (16" to 18" avg). Deck boards will run diag to the joists. Framing is 2x10 CCA, 12 inch on center. Considering 1x4 IPE, 2 surface screws per joist crossing & plugged.

Thought behind 1x4 is narrower boards are less likely to cup as the screws will be closer together and there will be more more air flow p/sq foot between boards.

MY QUESTION: Given the damp northern exposure, under 24 inch ground clearance, is it worth the significant extra expense to move up from 1x4 boards to 5/4 thick boards to resist cupping. WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE THE ADVICE OF JOHN HYATT & OTHER IPE PROFESSIONALS. THANKS, TOM.

Comments (3)

• Builder-Bob
    10 years ago

Tom, Seems like you already did a lot of research and have a solid understanding of the Wood. You SHOULD be fine because your face screwing but there's never a guaranty with wood. Ipe does call for 24'' of clearance on three sides of the deck for ideal conditions, your pushing it there it seems. 5/4 would be the route to take but at roughly $1000-$1800 more for the project I can understand your not wanting to just make the jump.

Whats the sun exposure on the deck? Will there be proper drainage underneath? And besides right against the deck itself is there plenty of room for airflow / wind? ( a shed near by, big bushes, is it row home or large open back yard?)

Who's your supplier? They should also be able to help.

• Tommy2034
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the quick response Bob. Its a single family home, large back yard & no obstructions next to the 3 open sides. The deck is free standing and the side against the house will be kept 2 inches away from the house siding. Most of the deck should receive sun from about 10am till 4pm during daylight savings time.

The back yard is pretty flat but the soil is on the sandy side and water drains through the grass pretty fast. An under ground pipe carries the gutter water to a remote location.

Given its my deck & I figure I will be here for about 15 more years I am thinking the premium $ for the 5/4 might be worth it with the marginal ground clearance.

I had considered the 5/4 x 6 ipe face screwed (lot less work, screws & plugs) but I am afraid the extra width could leave me with cupping with the marginal ground clearance. I don't know very much about IPE but I would think when face screwed the 1 x 4 inch boards would resist cupping more than the wider 5/4 x 6 boards.

• Tommy2034
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well my local lumber yard got the 5/4 x 4 in Thursday after Customs finally released the container to the wholesaler. Only .50 cents more per L/F for the 1 inch vs the 3/4 inch. Good insurance IMHO. Will let it sit for 2 weeks and then start sweating again. Hope the weather cools a little/less humidity. The framing was brutal during the heat wave. Not 20, 30 or even 40 anymore.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations