Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
momofboys3_gw

Deck still tacky after 2 weeks

momofboys3
13 years ago

I'm not sure what to do about my deck. The company I hired to refinish the deck initially stained it the wrong color, and failed to sand prior to staining. They agreed to return and fix the problems.

I wasn't here when they came to remedy the situation, but the rough spots appear to be sanded and the color is now correct.

However, the deck is still sticky to touch and very unpleasant to walk on barefoot because of this. Will this cure to a hard finish eventually?

Thanks! Katherine

Comments (22)

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Depends somewhat on what stain they used!!
    ...and their EXACT prep.

* What EXACT brand/series of stain was used?
    * What EXACT stain was the previous one?
    * Was the WHOLE deck re-sanded evenly?
    * How big a color-change is it?
    * Were any strippers/& neutralizers used?
    * How many coats of the stain were used?
    * Age & wood-species of your deck?

It's important...need to know this stuff b4 answering!

Faron

• mileaday None
    13 years ago

I used Cabot semi-transparent and have some areas where I must have applied more than others. Those spots are shiny and tacky. According to the 3 different techs that I spoke with at Cabot - "the tackiness will take up to a year to go away" or "2 weeks" or "gee, I don't know what to say". The info they gave on application was just as varied - everything from apply a very thin coat, apply like you would polish a fingernail, apply and wait 5 minutes and then wipe off excess. I'm totally frustrated, can you tell? One of them said to wait about 2 weeks and then use some deck cleaner on it and it should help. At least the season is coming to an end and I can just let it go until next spring and see what happens.

• momofboys3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I hear your pain! This deck drama has been going on all summer!

Looks like they used Sherwin-Williams DeckScapes. The new stain is darker than the initial stain. I was out of town when they redid it, so I don't know if a thorough job of sanding was done.

My question is: will this tackiness resolve without further action, or do I need to contact the contractor on this matter?

I haven't paid them yet, and while they have tried to fix their errors, I am not happy with the deck the way it is and don't know enough about staining and sealing to judge whether or not this will resolve.

Thanks!

• deck.builder
    13 years ago

"Most" of the time if a deck surface is tacky after it has been stained, it is because too much stain has been applied and it will not soak into the wood anymore. This is why I prefer to apply stain lightly, then wipe off extra with a rag after it sits for 5-10 minutes.

Other times it is simply because the stain chosen does not soak well into the wood used. What type of decking did you use? If it is hardwood decking, I really like ipe oil. For pine, try using Thompsons.

• momofboys3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think you are correct about too much stain. It's still tacky and when I inspected the deck further there is a wrinkly skin (that peels off when touched) over still wet stain in places. I've called the contractor to reinspect the work done.

How can this be fixed?

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Momto4...

If that stain is a typical Semi-transparent Oil, those type of stains ALMOST ALWAYS require only ONE coat.

* Since they're designed to PENETRATE...and not "build a film", 2 coats of it will result in EXACTLY what you're experiencing.
    * So, if too much stain was applied...OR, in your case, TWO coats of a S/T stain were applied, easily peel-able layers will form.
    * No...it won't resolve itself. It has to wear off.

2 choices:
    1) Let it wear off some. Have them FULLY sand the floor next year and re-stain.
    2) Scrub thoroughly with a fairly stong deck-cleaning solution, rinse and let dry. See how it looks...it won't be perfect though!

>>> If it were MY deck...and I've done this...rent a 12" x 18" Vibrating-Plate sander, and fully sand out the deck floor color.
    * Have them sink screws/nails.
    * Sweep/Vacuum to remove most dust.
    * Wipe down deck floor with paint-thinner dampened rags.
    * Let dry an hour, and apply new stain...ONE COAT!!!
    * Now you'll have a beautifully even deck floor.
    * I've got a 14y/o Redwood deck, west-side/no shade, and have sanded the floor/steps twice. Still looks VERY GOOD for a deck this age! I've used Sikkens SRD Redwood #089 the last 2 stain-applications.

Faron

• momofboys3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for your advice. My deck is 18 y/o redwood deck. It's on the north side of the house, and over the years, due to trees, there is very little sunlight. There was moss growing and it needing a good cleaning, but the people who built the deck used great materials. Everyone notes the thick planks used.

In the past I've used clear sealers, but the salesman talked me into color because he said it will require less maintenance.

Is it reasonable to ask the contractor to return in the spring and redo this mess? They still haven't come out to look. I would like them to just start over and do it right, but I also want to reasonable. However, it sounds like this is not an easy situation to remedy!

• deck.builder
    13 years ago

Unfortunately you are in a bad spot. Ideally, you would want the contractor to come out and fix the problem. That is what I would push for first. faron has given you the best option on what to do "if it was his deck." But that is a lot of work and questionable if the contractor would be willing to go through all that. If the contractor wants to get the job done right, and keep a good name, he should work with you.

If the contractor is not willing to work with you to fix this, I would strongly consider having someone else look at it this spring. Explain the entire situation to the new contractor so he knows exactly what you are looking for and what you are not happy with. That way, he can be sure to quote it properly knowing you want it completely sanded and refinished. Many people will simply quote a cleaning and refinish, that is not what you will want most likely.

• willinak
    13 years ago

I would try, on a step or other small area, wiping down with mineral spirits. You may need to rub a bit to remove the surface film, but I think that will do it. Let it dry a day or two after, depending on weather, and see what it feels like then.

• Faron79
    13 years ago

Paint thinner is pretty weak.

If the excess surface film is pretty dry now, PT won't really touch it...

Faron

• momofboys3
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The contractor came back. Lightly sanded most of the deck, scraped the blistery wet parts, and then recoated. For some reason the knotholes have all turned black on the deck and of course it's still sticky. I guess I'll wait and see if it dries okay.

• dooer
    13 years ago

Unfortunately, the contractor just repeated what he had done the 2nd time. Most sealer systems are one coat and are designed to be absorbed into the wood. If there is a good coat all ready present, the new coat cannot soak in, thus the stickyness.

At least the contractor is trying to please you. He just may not know what he is doing.

• willinak
    13 years ago

Let me re-emphasize: I would try, on a step or other small area, wiping down with mineral spirits. You may need to rub a bit to remove the surface film, but I think that will do it. Let it dry a day or two after, depending on weather, and see what it feels like then.

Mineral spirits will work to get the excess off. It's really easy to test.

• Catherine
    8 years ago

This is so depressing because we have the exact same situation. Deck looked gorgeous after one coat but landscaper put on a 2nd coat and now it is still tacky a month later. So tired of dealing with this kind of thing (just went through a 4 month home remodel) but will let husband know about Benryan76 solution.

• PRO
    W11 Construction Ltd
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Same, same... If it's patchy, sand it back and start again as previously described. If it has had two coats, remove the excess 2nd coat with mineral turpentine (white Spirits (UK) mineral spirits (US)). keep wiping until no stain comes off the rag then rag dry. I am a qualified building surveyor and mitigate and advise on this kind of thing all the time.

• dlekdawes
    7 years ago

I just tried goo gone seemed to take the tackiness away but not the shine.

• dlekdawes
    7 years ago

I have had this problem twice. This time I was very frugal with the ipe oil that I used, having had a previous encounter with tacky deck. I think it was the weather. The area exposed to the wind and sun dried and the area covered and in shade did not dry and turned tacky instead.

• PRO
    AdvantageLumber.com
    7 years ago

dlekdawes wipe off the excess Ipe Oil off your deck once applied and let dry for the amount suggested in the directions. This is very important because hardwoods won't absorb A LOT. If Ipe Oil is left to dry without wiping down excess you'll get a sticky deck

• PRO
    XS Design/Build
    4 years ago

I sanded a mahogany deck and applied 1 coat of Valspar sealer. 3 days later my homeowner moved furniture on the deck. No problems. 5 days later it rained and I get a call saying the deck is blotchy and tacky! Solution?

• Abodh Gawande
    2 years ago

I would put 3 to 4 more coats on the sticky coat and spread some sand and dirt all over the patio… it gives a very nice earthy finish and texture to it and makes it look unique

• millworkman
    2 years ago

What?