Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need front porch and steps ideas

Posted by eddycreek (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 17:49

Just finished replacing cedar siding with Hardi Board and painting it.

Photobucket

The roof is dark green metal shingles, same as the doors. Gutters go on next week, and will also be green.

The front porch is 8' wide, but the steps are only 3 ft. wide.

Photobucket

Would like to take out the 2 shrubs and widen the steps to 8 ft. also. We refloored the balcony with a dark gray composite decking. Was thinking of just covering over the existing brick steps with the same stuff, using stringers at each end for support and to hide the brick. Not sure about the risers, as without any the 3' brick risers will show through. Would you use the same decking to cover that?

Then, would you put a railing on the steps? Or just on the balcony? I found some Versadeck aluminum railing that can be powder coated to match the green. Looking for any other more creative ideas. I'm no designer. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need front porch and steps ideas

1) Like idea of removing bushes to open up. Railing a good idea once bushes are gone.

Composite decking over brick questionable. Not sure about look and concerned about ventilation underneath. Brick ties together current entry area and walkway. Entry area is a small space and not sure would look right adding another material to mix.

Composite is basically a mix of cardboard particles and plastic. While there has been some progress since products first introduced, (wrapping outer layer with solid plastic) cardboard particles are vulnerable to molds and can cause boards to disintegrate if particles eaten out. Without ventilation under deck, I would suspect moisture levels would be too high. It would also be rough on stringers, though if they were ground contact pressure treated wood they should be able to take it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here