Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

To stain or not to stain (a new cedar fence)

kirkhall
10 years ago

Hi all,
I am usually in the build/remodel/bath/small homes forums, but have a question best answered by you all.
I had a new fence installed (long story how/why, but it is here now). It is cedar with cedar rails and PT posts. I am in the PNW (Seattle area). This fence is newly installed (within the last week). I am wondering if we "should" seal/stain it or not?
There are many, many cedar fences in my area that are left to gray. The contractor responsible for its installation won't stain it for me (again, long story, but that isn't part of the deal) so if I want to do that, I will be doing it myself. I painted my entire remodel this spring, so I *could* handle staining the fence (about 150 linear feet, 6' high). It would just take me a while, and who knows how long until the next rain storm and then the rainy "season" that is Seattle.
I like the color that it is, natural. And, most stains seem to "stain" the wood--usually making it uniform in color.
What else to know? The stiles are 4" and fairly knotty (again, not my choosing--what they took out was clear 6" cedar, so the 4" knotty isn't as high a grade as what I had).

What would you recommend? To stain or not to stain? If stain, what kind? And, how to apply (roller is probably "easiest" for me, as I have that equipment, and am familiar with it, but if that isn't best then...)

And, finally, in old threads I see mention of twp, ready seal, and gray away. But, again, those are old threads, and mostly deck threads (of course). Is there a product that would be "best" for me? We don't water our yard (rarely anyway) so the fence will only get rained on (no sprinkler lines/discoloration).

What to do?

Comments (3)