Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New house has a redwood deck--impossible to find redwood?

Posted by kbirgerson (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 12 at 16:29

My newly purchased house has a huge pool deck that is made out of redwood. The realtor told us "good luck with your illegal deck" as a joke but then proceeded to tell us that redwood has now become outlawed to chop down so the bits and pieces of redwood floating around the market are going to be extremely expensive. Is this true? Can't seem to find a direct answer from google. If so is there a substitute we could use? Or even (we dread this, seeing as it would be VERY expensive), should we just replace the whole deck with some other kind of wood? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New house has a redwood deck--impossible to find redwood?

Do you live in the USA? I've never heard of such a ban, in fact my boyfriend just built this nice privacy trellis out of redwood a couple weeks ago.

trellis

o

Hopefully that is the only untruth that the Realtor told you as most large real lumberyards carry redwood and most others can special order. Redwood will not be inexpensive but repairing and replacing bad boards will be less expensive that replacing the entire structure.

o

Redwood is available in various grades, as I just learned, and we just replaced an 800 sq. ft. deck. It is not super expensive if you get the lower grades, but for deck longevity, you might want to fork out the $ upfront and get the best quality you can afford. Your realtor is misinformed. It's not illegal. I live in CA where it's harvested (controlled) daily and every lumberyard has it. Good luck!

o

Yes we live in the US! Thanks so much, I'm sure she was just trying to sell us on using her husband's business to redo our deck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here