Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thinkstoomuch

solid stain to cover nail stains

thinkstoomuch
13 years ago

Hi all,

I've spent some time here getting suggestions on how to deal with some bad *ass nail stains on my mahogany porch. The end of the story is that they are not going to come out. After a RAD treatment, and two oxalic acid washes, they are still there. Also tried sanding. NOPE!

So, I have to learn to live with the stains. Eventually, I'll pull the boards and replace, but for now I need to live with it. So, I started my hunt for a darker stain to sort of blend in with the nail stains. I thought about Cabot ATO jarrah brown. I was about to pull the trigger, and wondered if their solid stain would be a better choice. I HATE to do it, knowing that I'm going to lose the beautiful grain of the mahogany. I'm just not sure the jarrah brown is going to cover up much of the stains.

So, what do you think? Again, my goal is to get this looking as best I can with what I've got. I have to work with the stains. Penofin is too light of a color, and TWP doesn't seem to have any dark colors. (also, I can't get TWP locally, which is another factor for me). I don't expect miracles from whatever finish I choose, I just need it to perform until the nails in the boards fail and a I have to replace the flooring.

thanks,

Kim