Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chutchi307

Hanging a Swing (at angle in corner) in 3 Season Porch

chutchi307
10 years ago

My spouse purchased a 48in swing that she wants hung in corner of our 3-season porch. She would like it to be at angle from walls.

Visual image: If you are standing, looking at corner where the swing will be hung, left wall is screen, right is a house wall. There will be about a 10ft span (left to right, the length of the hanging beam if you wish to think of it that way) where swing will be hung. When swung back and forth the swing should almost touch the 'side' walls.

Problem is there is no place to hang the swing. Rafters (located above a 1/2in painted plywood ceiling) are under-sized.

I see two options:

1) Hang double 2x6's at angle to walls, just below plywood ceiling, hang swing from that.
or
2) Get in (limited) attic space and put beam above the plywood ceiling (placed on wall top plates), run hanging chains through ceiling. (Obviously have to make some sort of hole for chains, but make sure holes are such that critters can not get up there if they get in porch.)

If doing with a beam (below ceiling) I would probably need posts (as noted above, beam will be 10' in length) along with some bracing to keep beam from 'twisting' when swing is being used. (If beam is placed in attic I would also need to brace it limit twisting.)

For hanging beam below ceiling I have looked into getting angled (45deg) skewed joist / beam hangers (they are available through web). I have posts (4x4s), but this just does not seem clean as I would have posts on either side of swing, besides the hardware of the joist/beam hangers.

Put beam above ceiling? Well, there is issue of getting everything up there, tying together, having holes (that do not look like crap) for swing chains to go through, and I still might need support posts.

Anyone ever do anything like this? Any suggestions?

Comment (1)