Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjlb

How to Remove Mold from Cedar Siding?

mjlb
10 years ago

I frequent another forum, but I think that this forum is probably better suited for my question. Thanks in advance for any comments.

Our house has vertical cedar siding. In the 15 years or so that we have lived in the house, it has been powerwashed and stained three times. Each time we paid extra for additional work related to removing mold from the siding.

This spring, for the fourth time, I hired a powerwashing company that also could apply a mildew protection coating and warranty their work. However, when they powerwashed the siding, they could tell that there was mold under the stain, and therefore they did not want to apply the mildew protection coating because they thought the mold would return.

Now I'm trying to resolve how to remove the mold once and for all, before restaining the house again. I'd also love to know how to keep it at bay going forward. An acquaintance tested a citrus product on the siding, but it did not help that much and took hours just on a few boards. I did a basic google-search and came up with the info below. Since the info comes from advertising, I don't know how to judge. Has anyone worked with these products, or could you suggest alternatives?

I certainly feel bad that we powerwashed, and the article says not to do that. Similarly, I applied Chlorox bleach in some areas a couple of times, and I guess that was a no-no also.

http://www.buffalo-lumber.com/lumber-articles/how-to-clean-mold-off-cedar-siding.htm

This post was edited by mjlb on Thu, Aug 29, 13 at 13:04

Comment (1)