Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
creating privacy on a deck

Posted by bennyhaha (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 6, 10 at 14:51

I live in a neigbhorhood where all the decks are pretty much lined up and way too close to our neighbors... if they are out on their deck I feel bad not engaging in conversation! :) these are daylight basement homes and the deck is on the middle floor above the ground.

I'm looking for some ideas on how to create good looking privacy. my current idea is to buy a long planter box/pot and plant a row of bamboo. Its a high wind area, but I think it should be ok if I put some weight in the planter box. it also gets a lot of sun.

any other suggestions? not a huge fan of lattice privacy screens. And I dont need a full visual block, just a slight sense of privacy is what I'm looking for.

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: creating privacy on a deck

The GW Landscape Design forum often talks about privacy issues in the great outdoors. The best take-away for me was the idea that you don't actually have to BLOCK the view to get privacy. Instead, the idea is to create something interesting where the neighbors' eyes will land BEFORE they get to your deck.

If you go over to that forum, run a search on "screen" or "privacy" and you'll get lots of good ideas.

o
RE: creating privacy on a deck

Depending on how much privacy you want you have several good options, one being the previous suggestion. But there are others. There are many planters on the market today (some are self watering)designed for creating the privacy you may want. Bamboo is an option but I'd opt for something a little tamer; perhaps a climbing vine, etc., with some color. Or use the planters to create a garden! Another option are exterior dividers that come in a variety of colors, styles, and colors.

Here is a link that might be useful: privacy porch ideas

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here