Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wags848

Window Grilles in 3 Season Room?

wags848
10 years ago

Greetings! We are planning on enlarging & enclosing our screened porch & turning it into a three season room. The window type will match those in the rest in our home, which are Anderson double hungs. The dilema is whether to have muntins/grilles/grids on the windows. We have a nice view of the woods, so we're thinking a triple window with a transom would be nice in the end window. There will be single windows on the sides, plus a door.

My inspiration pictures have always been sunroom-like rooms with grids on all the windows (see below). However, based on the size of the windows needed to maximize the view (40" x 72"), the windows would have 16 glass sections (4 rows of 4). Now we are concerned that it would look too busy and mask our nice view. On the other hand, we don't "see" the grilles on our other windows that much; we're so used to them. If we wanted to turn the room into a 4-season room down the road, the grilles would be a nice match to the rest of the house.

So now we are considering having no grilles on the windows, except for the transom above the triple window. But would that be too boring and blah? Would the horizontal line of the top of the lower windows give us linear overload? Would it look too old-fashioned or modern? Our taste is modern cottage/eclectic.

A third option is having grilles on only the upper sashes of the windows, so we would have a clear view while sitting yet have the detail of the grids which would tie in with the rest of the house. But would this look "unfinished?"

We are second guessing ourselves and want to order the windows this weekend. Any input is sincerely appreciated! Again, here are the options:

1) Grilles on all the windows.

2) No grilles on the windows except for the transom.

3) Grilles on the upper halves of the windows.

Here's a photo of the view out the back. I will post other views & an inspiration photo separately below.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

Comments (10)

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

View of current porch from back of yard.

• weedyacres
    10 years ago

I suggest posting this in Remodeling, as it gets more traffic, and this forum is more about decks, pergolas, and patios.

I will tell you that we put a room addition on the back of the house and used windows with grids to match the rest of the house. If we did it again, we'd likely leave them out completely, as they do "hinder" the view of the lake.

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the tips, weedyacres. We were able to redesign the grid pattern to be less intrusive...larger glass sections now. Still haven't pulled the trigger though. Lots to consider!

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Our windows/doors on the back of the house all have the grills and I don't find that they obstruct the view at all. Each pane measures 7 1/4"W x 12 1/4"H (inside measurements).

I would do all or nothing.

This post was edited by annz on Mon, Aug 12, 13 at 12:04

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, annz. I appreciate your input. Thx for the measurements. We will order the windows later this week; will most likely go with the grilles. The new grille pattern allows for larger "lites" which will help. Agree...all or nothing!

wags

• johnorange
    10 years ago

I used three large windows in a carport to dining room conversion. I used grilles and I haven't found them to be distracting. The grilles may help birds see the windows and not fly into them but even with the grilles, an owl flew into one of mine and cracked the double-pane glass.

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

johnorange - I like your windows. They look more complete to me with the grilles.

Update - We ordered our windows yesterday. Going with the grilles. Paid extra to modify the grille pattern to allow for larger glass dimensions inside the grilles; it is less busy than the original design. We also opted to go with a sliding patio door with grilles as well. The design looks good on paper & in the 3-D model we made; hope we like it in real life!

Appreciate everyone's input!

wags

• annzgw
    10 years ago

Thanks for the update. I don't think you'll regret adding the grills.
    Our previous home had large, bare windows with a view of mountains and valleys. I always thought the windows had a 'naked' look to them and, like others, we thought large, bare glass gave the perfect view.

After buying our current home, which has grills in all windows, doors and sliders DH wondered why we never added them in the previous home. : )

Also, I've heard several designers say they prefer grills/mullions since they frame the view.

• wags848
    Original Author
    10 years ago

annz - Thx for your input. Good to hear from someone who has had both "naked" & "grilled" windows. :)
    I think the "framing the view" point makes sense. One can see the view from different perspectives through the many grille "frames."

Also, I think if we are on the porch when it is dark, we'd feel like we were in a "dark hole" without the grilles. I'm hoping the dimension & appearance the grilles provide will allow for a cozier feeling. Fingers crossed!