Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mercime_gw

Recoating a 2 year old stained cedar deck

mercime
10 years ago

We have a cedar deck and stained it with TWP semi-transparent penetrating oil stain 2 years ago. It is wearing and ready for a touch up. It has a west exposure. The problem...we had large oil stain from the grill and tried to remove it with a solvent that left the area blotchy. Big mistake...found out after the fact that very hot (almost boiling) water and dawn liquid did the trick. Also, the area under the covered porch has some of the boards beading up so has some viable stain remaining. What is the best way of going about cleaning just the dirt and grime without removing any of the finish or stripping the whole thing. Do the blotchy boards need to be sanded to get the stain to take evenly and how do I coat the covered deck area that may still have some protection from the sealant? I tried Olympic cleaner on a short board that had a spot bleached out from the solvent and the whole board is lighter now and the treated area even lighter. I don't want the whole deck's finish to be uneven. From my experience with staining other furniture, the blotchy board will look blotchy when done unless it is sanded out evenly?? Anyone have experience with finishing decks?

Comment (1)