Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best stain for pressure-treated wooden deck? ro pls

Posted by Mailynn (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 25, 05 at 14:40

Hi
I am usually at the Home decorating site but really need some expert advice. Almost finished our deck. I plan to do a semi-transparent stain on the floor and a solid stain on the rails, etc.

I live in a place with warm summers, cold snowy winters. Northeast coastal weather.

Thanks
Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best stain for pressure-treated wooden deck? ro pl

TWP. John

o

Hi John

Thanks for your answer.

What is TWP?

Linda

o

Check out...

http://www.consumerreports.org/main/detailv2.jsp?CONTENT%3C%3Ecnt_id=58903&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2113

THey don't review all products... but if you don't want to get the most $$$.. and one that is tested by these guys... go for the Olympic semi-transparent... at Lowes.

o

Olympic stain stinks, the Olympic Maximum is a decent product. Don't put too much weight in consumer reports. I will say no more.

o

I'm confused. What makes TWP the best? Elsewhere in here I read that you can't recoat it without stripping it, which is a big downside to me. I'm looking for pigmented stain for my pressure treated deck (in full sun) which will have to be retreated as little as possible, but when it does only needs to be pressure washed and then retreated. Is TWP my best choice? Or what is (from personal experience please!)

o

I cant belive you dug all that way back,,,2005 ???
Anyway,twp 116 requires cleaning and good weather for the overcoat, I have never had to strip a twp project of mine. I do have a past Wallet that put silkens over the twp I put on,,,now that project will require a lot of stripping.

The thing with a project using pt for decking...... no I wont say that..hmmmmm not that either..... Preasure Treated yellow pine is pron to warping twisting shrinking splintering things like that when laying flat to the sun no matter how its fastened or what finish is placed on it.

A person can use a bad finish and make matters worst like thompsons,silkins,cwf,aquatroll but really no finish is going to change the nature of yellow pine. J

o
Plastiron stain will work best

It works really well due to high acrylic content and extreme metal particle content. It will protect pressure treated better than any other stain by far.

o

re: Plastiron - how come a google of 'plastiron' comes back with only complaints?

o
a look at the complaints for plastiron

looking at all of the complaints, they seem to be from one person who got some on his siding and couldn't get it off. doesn't appear to say anything about the product breaking down or not working. i'd be careful not to get it on your house though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here