Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best finish for Garapa Deck

Posted by run53 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 13:23

Thanks to all the advice here, my Garapa decking from East Teak is on the delivery truck and should be at my house sometime this week. It's not that big, so I expect it to be fastened down within a few days after arrival.

Now for the next phase. How to finish it.

Everything I read on-line says go with a Penetrating oil. I know John will recommend TWP and that sounds like a good option as well. I am having a hard time differentiating between Penofin, Woodrich Wiping stain and Cabot Australian Timber Oil.

Are there any Pros/Cons that can be shared? Are there other brands I should consider? I don't want to make a mistake and put something down that needs to be sanded when re-finishing time comes.

Thanks for all the advice so far and looking forward to more on the finish :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best finish for Garapa Deck

what did you decide on? Any pictures? I am not sure all the Timber oils have UV protection. Woodrich is selling samples now, worth a shot

let us know how is goes

o

I am still fastening the new garapa so have not chosen yet. I will look for a timber oil wth UV protection for sure. When i decide on the finish, I'll post a picture.

Still looking for recommendations from folks who have finished Garapa though.

o

I just finished my Garapa with TWP 100 Series. 2 Parts Dark Oak and 3 Parts Cedartone. Came out to be a very nice color.

o

Got any pics, Marcus?

o

What type of look are you trying to go for? If you want to keep Garapa looking the same I have a product called Wood Protect. It's 100% invisible. Water-based. Zero VOC's. Will last 5-7 years depending on traffic. UV inhibitor. Lowers the surface temperature about 7-10%. Simple pressure wash will clean it, actually, since it bonds to the wood at the molecular level, all you need to use is a garden hose to clean it. Also, because of traffic over the years, you can spot treat it. No need to strip and reapply. Kinloch is the manufacturer if you'd like to check it out. We're working on a pigment in case you are looking to darken your material, but that won't be out for a few more weeks.

o

Deek,

I looked up the references you provided and they are a bit thin. This is not to imply the product is not good. I am in the business where we require products to show factual independent testing to demonstrate their product capabilities. Performing accelerated life testing for the product you are promoting is not difficult and can be accomplished in short order. Have you considered having an independent lab perform these tests? Facts and supporting evidence will help you sell here.

o

I decided upon Woodrich wiping stain (Brown Sugar). I ordered the samples and they were at my house in 3 days. I did some boards and just ordered the Hardwood stain/cleaning kit.

Hopefully all will work out well. I can post pics once I get the shipment and do the work.

Thanks to all for the advice.
Mike

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here