Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck paint??

Posted by postum (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 7, 06 at 13:22

Hi there! and I hope you can help me with what is probably a really stupid question.
Our uncovered deck and stairs are painted, but the paint is old and peeling. So I figured I could scrape them down and repaint. I went to Lowe's and got a test quart of "Porch and Floor Paint." Get home, read the can and it says "for stairs, porches, floors. NOT FOR DECKS." My dh calls Lowe's and they say we have to stain. Is this true? This will mean major stripping of a large deck and 12 stairs. Are there any other options?
Thanks so much for your help!!

BTW, the picture on the can shows a DECK. False advertising!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck paint??

Good ole Lowe's.

First off, do not use any product from Lowes' HD o any big box store. Their exterior products are inferior.

Scrape down your deck. Sand to feather where neccessary. Powerwash with a solution of bleach and TSP. Let dry two or three days and apply an oil based primer made by Cabot's called Problem Solver. Let that dry for 24 hours and then apply two topcoats of Cabot's Solid Decking Stain (you can use latex as it will repel mold better and give you better expansion)

This is a big job no matter how you slice it and is why I tell people to NEVER paint their decks. They always peel. if you follow the technique I outlined above you will get 4-6 years from your sealer. If you skip steps, you may get 6 months.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here