Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruddycat_gw

Help! Terrible stain on new garapa deck - photo!

ruddycat
13 years ago

Hi,

We're in the process of installing a 1000 sq.ft. garapa deck and our contractors finished laying the boards on the upper deck yesterday. Since we've been without a deck for over a year and were anxious to see if our new rectangular patio table and chairs would fit in the new space - we took them out on the deck last night and then left them out overnight. We were going to play around with placement of them some more this morning when it was cooler.

Well it rained overnight (which we weren't expecting) but it was nice and sunny when we went out about 10:00am. The deck was starting to dry out but the furniture was wet, as was some of the protective cardboard on the chairs that we hadn't removed yet since we weren't sure we were keeping the set. Anyway, when we moved the chairs (2 with a round swivel bottom) there was a nasty green stain under the cardboard, as you can see in the picture. It doesn't wipe up or come up with a scrub brush and I was afraid to try to spot clean it with any kind of cleaner until I asked for some other opinions.

Any ideas of why this happened and what we can do about it - short of replacing the boards? Our contractor will be back on Monday to finish the lower level and I guess that will be our backup plan if we can't get the stain out otherwise. The chairs without cardboard on their legs didn't leave a stain but another wicker chair with a flat rubber bottom on the legs also left a small green stain.

On another note, although we told the contractors to leave a 1/16" space between the boards (as we were instructed by ABS), it appears that some of the boards are almost touching - is this going to cause a problem?

Thanks so much in advance for any help/advice!

Leigh Ann

http://www.dotphoto.com/MemViewAlbum.asp?AID=6213374&Page=1