Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pre-treat a composite deck?

Posted by still_lynnski (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 10 at 13:04

I believe I read a suggestion on this forum about pre-treating a composite deck with some type of sealer within 60 days of installation. Does that ring a bell for anyone else?

I would appreciate suggestions about treating a composite deck with some type of sealer soon after installation.

The value of this forum is sometimes compromised by the antagonism of the lumber/composite wars. Please don't blast me for choosing a product you would not have chosen! Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pre-treat a composite deck?

No problem Still.
I have had good results puting finish on the soft composites. It wont work with the newer plastic coated product of course but say moisture shield/epoch even the dreaded trex take finish very well.

It actually turns a weak point into a strong one. The stuff stains up real easy anyway with most anything. They really soak up the finish. I have choice decking on the treads of my outdoor stairway and landing completed with two coats of twp 116 rustic after 5 years or so it looks the same as the day I put it on. The trouble tree that drips sap/slime on that area was a problem before now it just washes off.

There is no reason to wait at all or do any prep becides cleaning the surface. J.

o

That's great news and clear information. Much appreciated!

o
TWP colors?

New question--Could anyone recommend a TWP color that has no reddish tint at all? I'm going over a composite (Fiberon) that's medium brown, and I do not want the color to redden up at all. Medium brown is what I want--think white oak or walnut, not red oak or cherry. Thanks!

o

TWP's Dark oak is a golden (not red) color.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here