Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What's the best way to trim out my stairs?

Posted by weedyacres (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 13:03

I'm trying to decide the best way to trim out my stairs, in particular the risers. The risers are 7" and the deck boards I'm using are, of course 5.5". On the face of the risers I can just rip some narrow strips to fill it up, but what about the sides of the stringers?

I'd appreciate close-ups of your stairs from riles, salmon, sparks, and anyone else showing me what you did. As I figure, my options are:
1. Put a couple boards diagonally on the outside of the stringer. 1(a) would cut out the notches like the stringers so the stairs are still open; 1(b) would leave them straight and close in the stairs (I prefer the look of open).
2. Carry the front risers around the side, so the side would match the front but would have boards of differing width (seems like it would look funny). I think that's what they did here.

3. Do the sides independent of the fronts and just put full horizontal boards down from the top, and rip the bottom one to fit. 3(a) would go all the way to the deck, boxing it in (It looks like salmon did this), and 3(b) would stop at the stringer (bunch of little pieces).
4. Do the sides vertical (sparks, is this what you did?). Again, could do all the way to the ground or just to the edge of the stringer.

I'd appreciate any and all advice. I've searched through GW postings and google images, but can't find very many examples that show close-up. If you deck builders/owners could show me some detail, I'd be much indebted.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What's the best way to trim out my stairs?

I have not finished my main stairs yet (blush), as I ran out of wood and money. To date I have done the front of the risers and I ripped 2 boards for each riser so that the boards were the same size. I have already mitered the sides so that when I wrap them (hopefully soon) they will join up with the front risers. I plan to follow the angle the riser on the sides, I think, but at this rate you will have already worked this out and I can just copy you (LOL).

I mentioned before that if I were doing it again I probably would not miter the corners. I did that on my large box steps that come off the back of the house to step down to the deck and the miters move quite a bit with the changes in weather and at times they are not nice and snug as when I first installed them. Maybe this was my woodworking skills, but I think that is just the way it goes.

Riles

o
RE: What's the best way to trim out my stairs?

Yo Riles,thats some sweet work in the picture No?? looks like little plugs and a very cool bulnose detail. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here