Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyleeann_gw

Screend in Porch (Finished) Pictures

kellyleeann
16 years ago

We are finally finished!!! We just love the results and I wanted to post my pictures. When we started this project I searched and searched for ideas on what to do and how I wanted it to look, so I hope my pictures help someone else along the way.

Comments (14)

• ron6519
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks great. How are the outlets protected from water that comes in through the screens?
    Ron

• fit4life
    16 years ago

It's amazing. I'm looking for ideas/ pics of screened in porches. Where did you find your ideas? Do you mind sharing the overall cost?

It's such an aesthetically pleasing screened in porch! I've seen ones that look cheaply done so I wasn't very thrilled that my husband prefers to do a screened in porch vs. an addition (of a great room). Porches like yours would definitely sway me though!!!!

• kenstl
    16 years ago

Looks great Kelly! thanks for the photos.

Do you mind sharing some info on your screens? I am finishing up our IPE screed porch and I am getting ready to order my screens. Did you install with stapling in your screen and triming them out, or did you install pre made screens?

If you did pre made screens, can you share the size of your larges screen, how it is attached in the opening, where you purchased, etc.

Thanks,

ken

• cumpaniciu
    16 years ago

That's one nice looking entertainment space. Congrats!

• kellyleeann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you all so much, I am so happy with the outcome, it is better than I expected, now if only Fall would get here!

ron6519: The outlets are outdoor rated and are below the lip of the knee-wall, everything has been inspected and signed off by the electrical inspector and the screens do protect the water from just pouring in. I will eventually put up some outdoor shutters (Bahama Shutters) that will provide protection and privacy. See example below.

{{gwi:2037515}}

fit4life: Most of my inspiration and ideas came from the web (Porch Company) they are a local porch design and builder here in Nashville, TN (I have attached a link to their website)and I basically knew what I wanted but when it was being built we made changes along the way. The fireplace was identical to a page I found in a magazine, when I saw it I knew that was what I wanted. We payed the Porch Company to come out and do the design $500.00 (blueprints) with all the measurements and the architect worked with us in tweeking the plan till we had it just the way we wanted, it was great to have it on paper. Their quote for the project was going to be around 58,000.00!!!! So since we payed for the prints we started calling other contractors for comparable bids. We ended up finding one which did a beautiful job and we are very pleased. This is what we started with, so it has come a very long way.
    {{gwi:1568514}}

{{gwi:2037516}}

The complete project with the stamped concrete, stone fireplace, mantle, tongue and groove on the baywindow (inside)the porch, low votage lighting inside, and on the steps outside(deck)on the handrails, privacy fence on the hot-tub side and I know I am forgetting alot of other little details was around 30,000.00.

Our original bid was 25,000.00 but we added the low voltage on the out side deck, rocked the back of the fireplace which was going to be vinyl siding, added tongue and groove on the baywidow which was vinyl siding and all the lights on the inside are all on dimmer switches. We also added a large transformer so that we could tie into it when we did our landscape lighting. Oh and we did Timberteck for the floor in the screened in porch, which in the original bid was going to be pine. The Timberteck about broke the bank!!!

kenstl: The screens are a product that Lowes and Home Depot sells. Its a track system that is mounted on the inside of the framing of your window. With a screen rolling tool you just cut the screen to the appropriate size roll the screen into the track for a tight fit and then trim the window out. This was a great idea for us, so that if we ever had to replace a torn screen its just as easy. I was quite surprized because I wasnt sure if it would sag, but its just as tight as a real screen.

I hope that I have provided some valuable information for all who are in the process of building a porch. If you should have any other questions, please ask because I dont mind sharing the info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Porch Company

• john_hyatt
    16 years ago

Kelly you defently done good! I am wondering about the outside decking with the red finish its perfect with the white. John

• fit4life
    16 years ago

Thanks for your detailed update. You've definitely provided me with ideas to work with!

• mike13
    16 years ago

It does look good.

In our area the receptacles would have to have a cover to pass inspection. That is required for any receptacles in an area formed by a 45 degree plane coming in from the rakes & eaves.

• twg7590
    16 years ago

Beautiful! thanks for sharing!

• brett68
    16 years ago

Very Nice. I also live in the Nashville area and am in the process of getting some bids for a screened in porch. Could you let me know who did your work. It looks great !

• kellyleeann
    Original Author
    16 years ago

brett68,
    I would be happy to share the persons name. Contact me at kellyleeann72@aol.com

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    16 years ago

My parents and now my sister have had porches made with sliding glass doors. The rooms have consisted of three walls made up entirely of sets of sliders. Both of these rooms have had carpet on the floor and have been used more as a sunroom. The nice thing about the doors is that the room is still useable when it is raining, just open doors on the none rain side. Living in the Midwest, the doors make the room usable most all year round. My sister's actually was built over an existing deck so they were able to have heat vents run to it. Mom's was built on an existing porch so no heat vents.

I would like to do this but our deck is on the second floor due to having a walk-out and it was be cost prohibitive and be hard to integrate into the back of our house.

• breenthumb
    16 years ago

Rnmomof2, we had the same set-up. WO basement and 20foot 2nd floor deck running across back of FR and garage. Because of different height between garage and house, one company drew up a plan of going outside onto deck then into sunporch. No thanks, too much rain and snow. But another company was able to build a "cricket" so our door remained the same, floor was level with FR and we now have a wonderful 3 Season Room where the old deck was, accessible from FR.

Code was to dig below frost line (think it was 3 or 4 ft.)then support 6x6's in cement. There are three of them on outside and one huge beam of sorts with brackets attached to the house. Town inspector signed off before they could pour cement and continue.

Its a simple enclosure, nothing like Kelly's but very much like your parents and sister's. So it can be done. We waited a long time for ours. Deck served us well while kids were growing up and using the pool. But they grew up, pool came down, and now we love our new room. Sandy

• sstangler
    16 years ago

Kelly,
    What version on Timbertech did you use inside the porch and what color? Love the look - great porch!
    Shana