Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cimmaryn

sunroom vs. screened in porch

cimmaryn
17 years ago

Hello! I have been reading this site for a while, but have not had a reason to post. I am buying a new home within the month, and I had a question!

The home I am purchasing has a 10X10 porch -- not nearly big enough. I am considering putting in a porch that extends the length of the home.

I am wondering about the difference in cost between a screened in porch vs. a sunroom? Just an idea of the difference would help. Or, I've considered a sunroom outside the livingroom/kitchen, then screened porches on either side (one for the master bedroom, one for the guest room), and then a small uncovered area for sunning and grilling.

The house is about 1500 square feet, so I would love to add some more "living" space.

any thoughts or suggestions?

Kimberly

Comments (7)

• philmont_2006
    17 years ago

Kim, I just found this site because I had a question but he's what I think. I'm a licensed architect as well. It really depends how much money you want to spend. A screened in porch is fairly inexpensive compared to a sunroom. But the sunroom cost is really in the windows. You could buy large single pane windows in standard sizes for about $200 each from your discount home improvement center or you could spend $1,200 to $1,500 for each window if you buy the best. Also, if you go with the good windows you will want either a sliding glass door or french doors. Good ones can be $2,000 each. The thing I did a few years back was build the porch the size I wanted and then screened it. After a few years I then purchased decent windows.
    Keep in mind you buy the cheaper windows you would have a 3 season porch rather than a 4 season if you bought the good windows..... but then if you really want it 4 seasons your going to need some HVAC as well...... I hope this helps instead of confusing you...
    Thanks Dave

• mike13
    17 years ago

We had a 14X24 deck but wanted a screen porch & a deck. I also wanted to make the screen porch so that it could be made into a 4-season room or even a sunroom w/ HVAC. Thus I tore down the old deck, replaced that area w/ a 16X24 screen porch w/ 32" high knee walls, & then added a 16X30 deck (actually part of that 16X30 is a 8X10 storage shed).

The screens are removable & I plan to make clear vinyl-like windows that can be installed in their place during the winter months if needed.

I insulated the ceiling & knee walls. If in the future we want to make it a sunroom & add HVAC, we could add glass windows, insulate the floor joists, and install some type of HVAC system.

• docrtaylor
    16 years ago

Mike13, how did your windows turn out? I am planning to do the same thing and was wondering how you did yours? Trying to get all the input i can.

thanks

• kellyleeann
    16 years ago

Just add a fireplace and you can use it all year long!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Screened in Porch

• jan1952
    16 years ago

Mike13, How did your winter windows work out? We have a screen porch and I would like to have some form of removable windows.
    Jan

• theporchguy
    16 years ago

If you like reading the Sunday paper outside on your screen-in porch or just sitting outside and feeling the breeze or hearing natures outdoor sounds - like the sound of rain - then its' a screen room.
    If you want a sunroom you might as well build an addition.
    If you like the feel of outside, you'll love a screen room
    the porch guy

• drivewaypaving
    14 years ago

You may consider add heater to your sunroom.
    Sunrooms are meant to be constructed so that they can remain a comfortable place to stay in throughout the year.

Here is a link that might be useful: View Sun Rooms

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting