Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New asphalt driveway

Posted by tomny (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 14, 11 at 10:37

Wasn't sure which forum to ask this, so this one is the closest to "outdoor surfaces".

I just had my asphalt driveway repaved. I've been getting conflicting advice about how long to limit use. Any expert/experienced opinions out there? I'd appreciate it.

Advice #1: Don't drive on it for a week. If the temperature outside gets really hot (like high-90s), spray water on the driveway.

Advice #2: Asphalt takes 90-120 days to cure. During this time, don't park on the driveway during the hottest part of the day, and don't turn the steering wheel when the car is stopped.

I have a minivan, by the way. Not a small car, but not a big, heavy truck.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New asphalt driveway

my driveway took 2 years to cure, dont laugh it was soft for that time.
longer you stay off it the better. hot weather is nasty until it fully cures.
dont park in same spot.
dont make sharp turns on it for 2 years
dont seal it for 2 years so it drys out .1 year at minimum.

when its real hot ,i dont park or drive on it UNTIL it is cured.that will take at least a year or more.
i saw asphalt come off after you turn your tires sharply 1 year later.

now, i live in pa where sun is hot only from may/aug .4 months of drying.
if you live in state that gets more sun, it may cure in 1 year or less but mine took almost 2 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here