Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did my contractor cheap out?

Posted by emily928 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 18, 10 at 10:15

Yesterday our contractor came to stain the second story deck they built for us several months back. I haven't had a chance to go out and inspect the work yet, but my husband said he noticed that they didn't stain the underside of the deck, which is clearly visible from the patio below the deck. I need to pull out the quote that he gave us for the staining work, but I don't think it specified exactly which surfaces would be stained. In your experience, is staining the underside of a second story deck something that would normally be done? One of the reasons we decided to pay $500 or $600 or whatever it was instead of trying to do it ourselves is that we thought it would be hard to get to those surfaces. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did my contractor cheap out?

Any pros on here have any advice? I'd like to call the contractor and ask about it, but I want to make sure I'm not crazy first!

o

Moat stains are only applied on the surface area, not the sides or bottom of the decking. Sikens is the only one I know of that you apply all the way around the deck boards, of course this has to be done prior to installing the boards.

Expect to pay more to have the underside stained.

o

If you wanted the underside of the project finished you should have made that clear in the contract.

John agrees with Al normaly the finish is put on the surface area only. J.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here