Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beachrat_gw

Fiberon (in a very small voice)

beachrat
17 years ago

We have had a fiberon tropics deck for almost 3 months now. I selected it based solely on looks and against advice here. I am speaking in a small voice because I know nothing about construction and certainly can't say how it will hold up over time, but here is my report so far: Builder, reluctant to work with it, was happy enough with the installation and when he came back last month to look at it was pleased there was no swelling, dipping, mildew etc. It looks fabulous (we have Ipe on a large front porch which is also beautiful) Yes, it does scratch, gave me a heart attack initially -- dog nails, metal chairs being dragged across it, but the marks mysteriously disappear. All stains (birds, food) wash right off. It is unbarely hot on bare feet under full sun, but other than that, we're really pleased.

Comments (8)

• nutsandbolts
    17 years ago

Good for you! Glad you are happy. I did not see your other posts (if there were any on this subject), but I would like to see a picture or two of you deck! It would be interesting to see what it looks like. Enjoy the deck!

• beachrat
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is my original post from last May:
    I sure wish someone who has a Fiberon deck "on the ground" would report in. We picked up a sample board and put in next to the Ipe porch floor, looks almost the same. And it feels good. And is supposed to be non-slip. I guess someone has to be first, trying to work up the nerve...........

So I worked up the nerve despite our builder's reluctance to try something we couldn't see actually installed anywhere. So far so good. Unless people are just being polite, everyone says it looks terrific...Must add we also used it for a bench and the flooring in an outside shower and it looks brand new. It does NOT look like Ipe, it's lighter and despite being perfectly smooth has a grained or wavy look. Don't know how to post pictures, but will work on it!

• munson
    17 years ago

I would like to know if someone has had a Fiberon Tropics deck for a period of time now. I am curious to how it has held up and if there are any negative / positive aspects to it. Thanks in advance.

• deckman22
    17 years ago

I've built several Fiberon decks without any complaints. It did seem soft like so many of the composites, but it goes down & looks good.

Fiberon, Weatherbest & Premier are all just about the same thing. The difference is in the pattern on the embossing system & the color of the dye, they are all made the same other than that.

Their new "exotics" looks nice to me, but again seems soft & scratches easily. It's the new thing with all the composite companies, trying to compete with ipe & the other hardwoods are going with muticolored dye in the boards to give the simulation of hardwood.

What separates these composites to me are price, warranty & customer service. This is what makes Premier the choice for me.

Al

• alden77
    15 years ago

I have a Fiberon deck and I regret it. Everything that spills on it stains and I have found no cleaner that will work. Even if I found one - I paid 5000.00 extra for a maintaince free deck. Their web site did say "resists staining" until I called them on it - guess what words were off the web site the next day

• john_hyatt
    15 years ago

Even tho its against all logic and advertising all the soft cmposites will take finish,like twp,after a couple coats stains,bird presents,dirty tree droppings things like that dont get through they sit on top and can be hosed away.

I did this on an outside stair way I decked with choice 5/4 planks 8 years ago all the above stain causing problems come off with a good rain. Of course this did not stop the choice from coming apart underneith but O Well,live and learn. Side Note>> choice is involved in the latest class action

• bikerdave
    15 years ago

I put in Fiberon Tropics. I agree about it being VERY hot, but, overall, I'm very happy with it. Here's a link to the work I did: http://www.thegoodrumfamily.com/ayrlee.deck

Here is a link that might be useful: Deck renovation with Fiberon Tropics

• ronaldtarr_aim_com
    12 years ago

I have a fiberon deck that is almost complete - but is now discontinued in Florida so I am not to happy right now. I need 5 ea 8 footers to complete the job. Anyone have any ideas where I can get it without costing and arm and a leg?