Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
IPE (21mm) deck boards

Posted by firsttim115 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 22, 09 at 8:57

I have the deck boards (21mm) layed and fastened. The ends are about to be trimmed and I will cap these ends with the 21 mm 1x6. I'm going to snap a line to cut with my circular saw and Dremel.

The problem! I already have the rail posts up and its difficult to get my circular saw between to cut them. The base of the saw doesn't permit close cutting. I will use the Dremel to finish close to the posts. The wife and I agree this cut is critical for appearance. Has anyone been here before and had success with the cutting? Suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: IPE (21mm) deck boards

There is no mm in America, get it right.

Most of the time my posts are inside the 1 1/2'' frame so the Skill wormdrive saw has a 1 1/2'' plate works great. If you did this I am not understanding the problem.
JonMon

o

I did exactly what you described: cut most of the way with a circular saw and finished up close with a Dremel. It took a while for the Dremel to eat through the garapa, and it smoked a bit, but worked fine.

o

Jon,
Yes, I agree and thanks for the rebuke :) . There isn't a problem now and I suppose it was more of a concern. My Porter Cable (wide plate) did most of the cutting.

I opted out on the Dremel. I did a test and yes, the smoke was a pillar, and I thought I would destroy my Dremel.

So, off to Lowes for a Bosch, flush cut, reprocating saw. It was worth the extra money and after a test cut I had no concerns. There may be other brands and locations out there but I like Bosch.

I have the end board layed out and screwed onto the frame. Counter sunk screws with 3/8" bit, 1/8" predrilled holes, and the IPE torx head screws, holes plugged and wood glued.

o

firsttim

How about some pictures?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here