Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lizzie_nh

Outdoor rug which won't trap rainwater?

lizzie_nh
12 years ago

Can anyone recommend an outdoor rug which won't trap rainwater underneath?

We would like to use an outdoor rug (I'm leaning towards a synthetic "sisal") to protect the area under our patio set. Repeatedly moving chairs around may damage our stain. My husband is concerned about rainwater getting trapped under any rug we put down. I have three potted trees which were, until recently, sitting directly on the (unstained at the time) deck, rather than in dishes or up on protective rings. Every time it rained or I watered them, water would collect underneath the pots, and stay there for a long time. The wood underneath was blackened and a bit soft (though not to the point of significant rot.) The fear is that the same sort of thing could happen under a rug.

We temporarily put down a coir welcome mat, backed with rubber, on a side porch, and I have noticed water collects under that. Has anyone used a more "breathable" or "drainable" rug in a location which gets a fair amount of rain? I'm thinking synthetic sisal, if it's not backed with rubber, might allow for water to evaporate.

Comments (7)