Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deck stain

Posted by mrs.ice (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 22, 13 at 8:21

I am currently receiving estimates for staining my deck. Tonight we had a gentleman come out and uses Sikkens and said that he recommends applying atleast 2 maybe 3 coats. I am not sure that is the right thing to do since the information on their website states it only needs 1 coat. I have never had a deck before so I'm not very sure. Some information on my deck is its pre treated and almost a year old.
Thank you for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deck stain

I would definitely put 3 coats wet on wet. The trick to Sikkens is that it should be brushed for the stain to penetrate the wood to it's best ability. However, if the correct prep is not done before staining no deck stain/sealer will work very well.

o

Thank you for your reply!

o

I use a product called Ready Seal. It is a penetrating stain and is really easy to apply. Sikkens is harder to work with but a professional contractor who is skilled in using the product will do fine. Sikkens creates a varnishy (best I can describe) and it is tough to remove. And that's something to consider.

And I agree with the first poster....prepping the wood is THE most important thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ready Seal Information

o

I haven't worked with Sikkens stuf but all the other stains I have used tell you not to apply more than one coat a year or more. I have done it anyway and got a varnish shiny oly kind of surface that was often sticky as well for a long time. Last week I just finished staining my old cedar deck with Cabot's Australian Timber oil. It gave a rich oly looking surface in only one coat. I recommend it if the limited color selection pleases you.

This post was edited by nerdyshopper on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 16:41

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here