Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I get Ipe or Azek for covered porch?

Posted by dilly_ny (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 13, 11 at 1:16

Can you tell me the pros and cons of these decking materials. Our contractor likes both these materials.

We are planning a covered porch that will be elevated about 3 feet. A little maintenance is okay. We love the dark color of Ipe when new and the greyed color is okay with us as we are planning to get grey siding on our house. We have not actually seen an Azek deck, so we hesitate, yet we have heard it is quite good.

I appreciate any helpful info you can share, including photos and longevity factors. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I get Ipe or Azek for covered porch?

Dilly I have an Azek deck and an IPE porch. Both have their benefits and disadvantages. The Azek has been down a few years and we do have a small amount of mold in the Azek-it has been a problem for a number of people on this board. You can try googling Azek and mold to learn about it. For the IPE we have had it two years and I love love it because it is beautiful when it is stained dark. We do have to stain it yearly to prevent it from turning grey so if you don't mind grey go for it.

o

Thanks Joshua. I was leaning towards the Ipe and it sounds like the better choice.

o

There is a new product just entering the U.S. market after great success in Europe. It is called "Thermory" (www.thermory.com). It is produced from American ash and then thermo-treated to give it the same durability rating as Ipe. However, it looks nicer than Ipe, and is MUCH more environmentally friendly. It should also be a bit cheaper than Ipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here