Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Covered concrete deck -- screen it, or not?

Posted by shelly_k (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 23:42

We are building new construction and have a ranch plan with a walkout basement. Off the kitchen/dining area, we have a covered concrete deck, 18x14, over our walkout basement level. There are stairs down to the ground level.

I'm just curious how much it might cost to screen it, as opposed to buying the black, aluminum railing which tends to be very expensive?

The deck's open sides will be south and west with some shade trees, but not many.

What do you think? Screen it, or not? It's already covered, so sun protection would be good. Live in South Dakota where the skeeters are the size of small birds... :) So that is the only advantage I can think of, but arguably, quite a big one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Covered concrete deck -- screen it, or not?

We live just south of you in northeast Nebraska (but we get SD weather). We have an 18x14 uncovered cedar deck that we always thought we'd use once built; however we never use our deck - it's either too hot, cold, windy, rainy or buggy. We recently had screenbuilders give us a bid of $23,500 to turn it into a 3-seasons sunroom. That doesn't include final flooring or any electricity. We're getting a 2nd bid from a local guy to possibly make it into a 4-seasons room.

Look at your current lifestyle. Do you like to spend time outside on the deck or have picnics in the evening? If yes, it means you like the wide open feeling & might like the rail; however if you're not outdoorsy then go for the screening as it will buffer you from the elements.

Are you in the country or in town? The screen might give you
a little more privacy but also obscure your view a bit.

o
RE: Covered concrete deck -- screen it, or not?

Thanks hilltop! Good points. We do like to entertain at night, outdoors, but we've always had west facing decks, making them virtually unusable in the afternoon/evening. I would love to hang out on a deck that is not so hot! That is why we chose to cover it.

I do hate the mosquitoes, though... a hard decision. I guess we'd have to get some quotes. Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here