Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chair Plans Wanted

Posted by drsnocaps (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 16, 09 at 22:52

I just finished replacing a PTP front porch with Ipe and new PVC columns. I have a fair number of 18"-30" 5/4x6 grooved Ipe boards left over and would like to make some chairs out of them but haven't had any luck finding basic plans for Adirondack (or other styles) chairs suitable for use on a front porch. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chair Plans Wanted

Just google Adirondack Chair Plans and several sites are presented.

I don't remember the site from which I ordered my plans. I modified the arms and strengthened the joints by adding some bolts and braces but were fun to build. That was 3 or 4 years ago. Mine are cedar. As I recall they took a couple days apiece to construct. If I were to build again, I would go to 2x for the legs. I chose the style because I like the concave seat and back. Very comfortable! Good luck building yours.

Conversation Area

Conversation Area - Another View

o

I ran across this site - should help you
http://www.backyardspaces.com/
Thousands of free woodworking plans and other plans for outdoor furniture, garden structures and more.

o

I built an Ipe adirondack chair last month, using the plan from Wood magazine, issue #149. Nice plan, but a bit complicated...especially using Ipe. You can probably get the back issue online.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wood magazine

o

very nice, what did you finish it with?

o

Thanks Salmon
I used tung oil.

steve

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here