Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior heating - by natural gas?

Posted by doofus (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 22:24

Hello!

My very significant other is quite cold-sensitive and I'm considering a plumbed-in natural-gas heater installed on our new terrace. The quoted cost of just the gas-line is $1500, which gives us a pause the actual heater is going to cost about $1000 on top of that.

Is that a nice thing to have for those chilly nights, that follow the still still warm October days? Is it worth the upfront $2500, or should we plan on using a propane-powered heater you sometimes see at restaurants with outside seating?

Or are they trouble-prone and otherwise a hassle? We need to decide now, while the gas-plumbing is being done throughout the house anyway... Thanks! Yours,

doofus

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior heating - by natural gas?

Natural gas will heat with similar heating technology as propane. The real benefit is that you will not run out of fuel mid-use and you will not have to exchange containers.

Since you are already running gas, $1500 sounds really high to extend a line to your terrace. How much did they charge to stub for a gas grill? The amount should be similar with the only variant being the length of pipe.

o

I know about the benefits of having it permanently plumbed-in. There is also the disadvantage of being unable to move the thing anywhere (such as back-yard) or even replacing it without hiring someone... We aren't going to use it too often maybe, 10-20 nights a year total, I think...

How much did they charge to stub for a gas grill?

We aren't setting up a gas-grill :-) If we do grill outside, I intend to use real wood, otherwise, there is a great gas-range (with grill) planned for the kitchen. We negotiated on the whole house, not per-item, so I can't tell, how much is each item.

He said, the materials will cost about $800 and the rest is labor, which does, indeed, strike me as expensive, but I can't replace him at this point without major hassle and delays (the house is half-way through inspections) and he knows it...

o

I recently had a new gas line put in (larger diameter) and it cost nowhere near what your being quoted. Of course, the length of the run is surely different etc. Why not get another quote if it sounds out of line. Personally, I would run a line out there given your in the construction stage. You have the option of not using and its a lot easier to extend it/move it later if you have it in the general area

o

"The amount should be similar with the only variant being the length of pipe."

And very possibly the size of the pipe.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here