Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bevel 120 degree rail cap butt joint or not?

Posted by iceman50 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 5, 09 at 22:24

I am almost finished with my IPE deck, but I have a question. I am using a two piece cap rail; a 2x4 on edge with a 5/4 x 6 inch top cap. The deck has several non 90 degree angles. On the straight sections, I did a 45 degree bevel on the butt joints with the top cap over the posts, but I am not sure how to handle the 120 degree angles. I would prefer not to use a non beveled butt joint, but it is not exactly clear to me how to finish off the 120 degree intersection if I use a 45 degree bevel for this butt joint.

Any help from the experts would be appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bevel 120 degree rail cap butt joint or not?

Wouldn't you just cut the joints at 60 degrees? Or am I not understanding your question?

o
RE: Bevel 120 degree rail cap butt joint or not?

I am sorry that I was not clear, The question that I had was rather than doing a simple angle cut butt joint, I would prefer to do that same angle cut with a bevel so that you would have a beveled lap joint, so that the butt joint gap would not be visible. However, because of the bevel, the front and back edge mating surfaces do not form a nice intersection, and I am not sure of the best way to form these.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here