Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pergola size? (10x30ft)

Posted by durkpiet (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 8, 09 at 22:19

I have room for a pergola roughly 10'x30'.

Does anyone have an idea of how I should span the joists, and how far apart the beams should be? I was thinking a beam every 10feet (8 beams total) and then 3 10" joists to span the 30ft. Does that make any sense? If so, can anyone point me to any online pergola plan that I can adjust to do this correctly?

I'd also like to cover it (at least a portion) so that I can use our hot tub in the rain. It rains too often in the NW!

thanks for any help! I'm new but I'd like to learn how to build this, also put down pavers stone for the patio below it, etc.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pergola size? (10x30ft)

Your biggest consideration will be allowance for wind and snow for the roof if that is a consideration for your location. It sounds as though you plan for 8 posts set 10 feet apart to be interconnected. Personally I would anchor the posts to concrete footings.

I don't know of any on-line sites with plans. Visit your local home centers and look at the garden books offered for sale. They will provide you with some nice ideas and basic plans.

Pergolas are generally designed for shade either with vines growing atop or with narrow boards anchored to the rafters. Ours is smaller than you plan but is resting over a paver patio. The footings go below the frost line.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pergola

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here