Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
airforceguy

Staining Deck. SIKKENS????

airforceguy
15 years ago

Howdy all. have read a few forums as well as some topics on here, and for the most part Sikkens has been well received.

I'm just a bit confused on which Sikkens stain I would require. My deck is 9.5 feet by 9.5 feet on the second level (condo) The wood (not sure what kind) is probably the original wood, and the condo is approx 20 yrs old. I don't believe it had ever been stained or painted. This past Monday I rented a power washer and cleaned it up well, the wood looks almost brand new again. My plan now is to do a light sanding with my palm sander (small deck) with 80 grit sandpaper, sound good so far?? Then wipe it all down. We just want to protect the wood, and keep it from graying. As well the deck that wasn't under cover, had some green mold, but the power washer took that off. So we just want to protect the wood and give it a "clear" coat, just keep the color they way it is now after being power washed. Would we use the Sikkens DEK or the cetol SRD? Or what would you recommend? Any special tips when applying a stain? Thanks in advance. ps. I plan on staining this Saturday.

Comments (21)

• Faron79
    15 years ago

Hi AF-Guy!
    I just got done sucking dry 2 5-gal pails of Sikkens SRD #089 Redwood on my fence!!
    ($165 EA. each retail!!)

SRD is your weapon.
    * It's a 1-coat, flat, penetrating-Oil.
    * To use DEK-Finish...REQUIRES 2 COATS ON ALL SIDES/ENDS, one day apart.
    * The SHEEN of the DEK is neat, but most people can't/don't want to coat all sides.
    * If you're building deck furniture, then DEK-Finish would look cool!
    * DEK also requires more frequent maintenance...potentially a light re-coat of topsides every year.

SANDING: The best prep, hands-down.
    * Sand 'till wood looks even-colored.
    * Sweep/vacuum dust off. Then use your paint-thinnner wipe as you described.
    * Get a Wooster "Stainer-Brush", & unscrew the wood handle.
    * Take your garage-broom handle & use in the stainer-brush.
    * Now you can stain your deck-floor STANDING UP!!
    * SRD doesn't have any "clear" color. That would mean "nearly-ZERO" UV protection.
    * #078 Natural, & #077 Cedar are the most popular here.
    (we've re-ordered twice this summer...)

>>> I sanded my 12yo Redwood deck 3 yrs. ago, with a 12" x 18" Vibrating-plate sander (rented).
    >>> Took all my steps off (18 2x6's)and ran them through a planer.
    >>> Everything still looks REAL good (used the SRD Redwood here too).

Faron

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks!!

I'm not sure if the wood would ever look 'even' coloured. The deck was never looked after that well (we bought the condo last year) So I bet when I stain it, the color won't look even?? Probably look less than desirable?? choices choices

• carolina_prowash
    15 years ago

A clear coat of anything will NOT keep your deck from graying. There is virtually no UV protection in any clear sealers and that is what grays the deck. Sikkens SRD is the product that you will want to use if you're going the Sikkens route. Don't let "color" scare you. Semitransparent stains will show all of the grain and simply enhance the wood.

You mentioned looking "even"? If you've prepped the wood as you say, it will look fine and natural. The only way something will look "even" is if you use a solid. No two boards are alike and some will stain differently than others (sort of like 10 people laying out in the sun - they're all going to tan differently but they'll still look good LOL)

Pick a good Sikkens SRD stain - it will look great :)

Celeste

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My only real problem is with the condo associations board,lol Bought some samples today,took a few pics and will email them to the board and hopefully get a quick response. My samples were Sikkens 078 Natural, and 996 Natural light. The natural light is very light, probably what we require to keep the condo board happy. $38 a pail here to buy

• carolina_prowash
    15 years ago

Your association gets to tell you that you have to let your deck go to poop? I'd be telling them that they can pay to replace because of their decisions! I'm not knocking the product, but seriously, the less pigment in the stain, the faster it will grey, causing you to put out more money in more stain! Silly association.

Good luck!

Celeste

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I take it you have never resided in a condo? lol There are some very nasty ones. Ours is very mellow, and most likely they dont care, but to be on the safe side I emailed the management company, all they did was transfer it on to the board!! So I emailed the president and will wait to see what he says. What they don't want is people painting decks some weird color.

• carolina_prowash
    15 years ago

That's cool - and I get controlling "color" but they should be reasonable and allow you to use a tint (natural) so that the area is somewhat consistent :)

We've done work for associations who choose the color and then the tenants just pay the additional association fees.

I'm betting you won't even have an issue at all with a natural wood color!

Celeste

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The Sikkens 996 Natural light is super light! One can barely tell it exists!! While the 078 natural is quite a bit darker. i should mention the 078 natural is a DEK finish. They didnt have any SRD samples, the sales dude figured the color would still be the same.

Cabot has a "Clear Solution" that is suppose to give a wet look. They didnt have any samples. The brochure states that it is UV resistant, water repellent, etc etc! yes I realize since it is lighter, it wont hold up against the sun as a darker stain would. The cabot is also available in a water based formula. Would anyone recommend the cabot??? Thanks

• carolina_prowash
    15 years ago

We don't recommend any water based products. Also, don't go DEK - it's very picky on proper installation and requires a subsequent application later, which due to human nature, probably won't occur after experiencing the first application :)

Stick to an oil based product. Others to look at (readily available) Flood CWF-UV5 (not just the CWF) or Olympic Toners (the one with the green label). Both oil based, apply easily with a pump up sprayer and both probably less expensive than the SRD.

Celeste

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, I wasn't considering the DEK, but in that color, thats all he had.

Will look into the Flood CWF-UV5. Thanks for your time and patience with me!!

• carolina_prowash
    15 years ago

Not that your user name had anything to do with the helping part.... but :)

Thank you for your service! My daughter & her husband are both AF, stationed at Lackland AFB!

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was in the Canadian Armed Forces for nearly 15 years--Army, Navy and finished in the Air Force working electronic gear on the P3C. I now reside in VA and entering the final year as a RN student. Worked alongside my USA counterparts many of a time, a very professional bunch.

Thanks again.

• carolina_prowash
    15 years ago

LOL, we're traveling to Virginia tomorrow :) We service some of Virginia in case you need some moral support in your endeavor!

Celeste

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Our Condo Board has 3 members, the President has given me the thumbs up, but still awaiting word on the other 2 members ya or nay, guess I just need 1 more to say yes!! Have a safe trip to VA. Hot and muggy out already at 0530 am!!

• cran
    15 years ago

I would not recommend Sikkens. We put it on our brand new mahogoney deck and it was stunning, until it started to peel. The rep came over to see it and said it was because we didn't seal every cut edge of the deck. Meaning the cut end that were already in place. We then sanded the whole deck and have used a variety of things over the years. The best by far was a product I learned about on this web site. Unfortunately I don't remember what it was, but we ordered it on the web and I think The Deck guy or Deck man recommended it. I'm sure it was cheaper than Sikkens. Hate to rain on your parade but I definately would not use it. Good luck

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

By chance was it a TWP product? I believe one has to order them online!

I think the Sikkens product you are referring to is the DEK stuff, as it has to be completely sealed. The SRD stuff does not.

Im still not sold on any product yet,lol Still awaiting decision from other board members!!

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw that, thanks. Im not gettign too carried away with the deck as we will be selling/ or renting this place next year. Thanks

• airforceguy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Got the approval from the condo board. Going with the Sikkens SRD 078 Natural finish. Wish me luck,lol

• Faron79
    15 years ago

I think you'll be happy...
    Like I said, we blow through a LOT of SRD up here in Fargo!
    SRD #078 is prob'ly the best seller here.

We don't sell much Cabot Clear-Solution. It's REAL light colored, but it's flat... not a "wet look" at all.

Good Luck!
    Faron

• rex_oliver_gmail_com
    13 years ago

So, I have made the cardinal sin in deck preperation. Yes I used bleach... and a pressure washer. The deck is about a year old the wood is in good shape. this will be the first coagt of anything the bleach has done its job. My quetion is when I seal or stain will the bleached look white still remail. thanks