Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ralphfers

Need to restore/brighten my IPE deck?

ralphfers
14 years ago

Hello, I have a 5-year old IPE deck (horizontals) my railing system is clear cedar w/deckorator spindles. I am ignoring my railing for now. The situation I want to address right now is the deck itself (IPE). I have power washed it once a year and then brushed on Penofin for Hardwood. My contractor originally told me that's all I need to do - power wash lightly and then hit it with Penofin. It's now been two years since I last treated it and the deck is now very dark and is always in full sun (can burn your feet unless you water it down first). Well, what should I do now? Sand it? Bleach it? Hit it with chemicals and apply Penofin right away? Hit it and then leave it sit for a year and reapply next year? I just want to try to restore it the best I can to the original condition without making a too much of a major project out of it. It's in good shape, clean, well looked after, it's just TOO dark. Thanks in advance for your help. Much appreciated.

Ps. I am not a contractor. The end result doesn't need to be "professionally" perfect, but what's the best route for a homeowner to take that is going to attempt this themself?

Comment (1)