Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wrong stain colour

Posted by firstyeargardener (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 26, 14 at 21:12

I just had my deck stained with a semi-solid water based stain. We hired someone to do the work. He did a great job, but the stain is the wrong colour. We wanted a taupey grey and instead got a silvery (almost blue) grey. Does not match with the rest of my home. It's not the contractor's fault as we picked out the colour.

My question is can we apply new stain on top without doing the prep work again? Or should I just learn to live with the colour for the next few years.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wrong stain colour

I would Google stain manufacturing companies. Thompson's Waterseal is one, and ask your question.

They are all about selling product, and should provide some good information for you.

Good luck to you! Picking the wrong color sucks, but they give you this tiny sample, and hard to visualize over the grand scheme.

Suzi

o

I would Google stain manufacturing companies. Thompson's Waterseal is one, and ask your question.

They are all about selling product, and should provide some good information for you.

Good luck to you! Picking the wrong color sucks, but they give you this tiny sample, and hard to visualize over the grand scheme.

Suzi

o

You can stain over it but you will never get it to the color you chose originally that way. The only way to get even close to the original color is to strip it chemically.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here