Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beemd_gw

Cabot deck stain experience

beemd
16 years ago

I hired a guy to power wash and stain my one year old cedar deck two years ago. I had him use Cabot's deck stain because of the number one consumer reports rating. I was very disappointed with flaking of stain on horizontal surfaces at one year. Now at two years, deck looks terrible. My brother is using deck cleaner and power washing deck and almost all old stain coming off very easily from cedar flooring and rails. Interestingly, it is not stripping much at all from support beams which are pressure treated wood.

The guy who did the job 2 yrs ago only allowed 1-2 days drying after powerwashing before applying Cabots. I am hoping that was the main reason why it performed so poorly. I used the 1480 decking stain in New Redwood.

I am leaning towards trying this product again allowing 5 days dry time before staining. I'd try something else, but there are a few remnants of the old product on the rails and of course the support beams which actually look pretty good. Has anyone had a good experience with Cabot's to equal Consumer Reports rating? Any advice? I am just now in day 1 of dry time after powerwashing the deck.

Comments (3)