Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get rid of moss on brick porch?

Posted by firsthome (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 20:42

We have a very shaded front brick porch on our new house. Over the last several months a very thick moss has developed on the bricks. The bricks are very rough and the moss is deep in the crevices.

I have taken bleach and a scrub brush to the bricks to try and get the moss off but it is a long and arm breaking process, and the moss doesn't want to seem to come out of the crevices.

Any suggestions, aside from renting a pressure washer, to get rid of the moss? Should I let the bleach sit on the brick, rather than scrubbing it? Any way to help prevent the moss from coming back?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get rid of moss on brick porch?

The bleach is your best bet. When moss grows on brick it is very resistant to letting go. Apply pure household bleach (6% sodium hypochlorite) and let it turn br.own then white. It might take a few applications if its thick. If you aren't going to use a pressure washer use a stiff bristle brush to remove. Letting the solution dry (once it has turned completely white) might make brushing easier on you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here