Return to the Porches & Decks Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Decks - some basic questions

Posted by avidchef (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 20:26

I have scanned many of the posts on decks and found many of the them were five years old and I could not discover a place for basic information. If I am asking questions that have been answered previously and the information is still relevant I would appreciate it if you could direct me to those posts.I don't want to waste anyone's time answering questions that have been previously addressed and as my questions seem elementary to me, I would assume they have been asked and answered before, but I was unable to locate the answers. Below are my questions:
1. How do you determine whether to repair or replace a 25 year old deck?
2. What essential questions should be asked of a deck contractor?
3. What are the best materials for a deck built in northern NJ?
4. Please describe the different deck materials and tell the pros, cons, and costs of each. A chart would be helpful if anyone is so inclined.
5. Are there any low maintenance or no maintenance deck materials?
6. I have seen white decks, clearly not wood. What is this material and is it a good material to use?
7. What is IPE decking and is it recommended?
8. Does anyone have recommendations for deck contractors in northern nj?
Thanks in advance for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Decks - some basic questions

You should look on IPEdeckguide.com, or on www.woodrich-brand.com for some advice on which is best for you. Ipe is an exotic hardwood, and has many pros to it, such as it is not prone to rot, and does not splinter, or absorb heat as just a few. If you have any questions feel free to give me a call. 636-288-5821

o

I live in the foothill region of central CA: hot dry summer/fall and cold, freezing winter (often rainy & extremely foggy). Need to seal new redwood deck (the lower grade redwood, not top notch). Just read all the posts since 2005 re: "I've had it with deck stains," which prompted me to join this site! Can someone tell me what product to use on redwood in my climate? I thought a clear oil sealer was best (no color or stain), but now after reading so much info, I'm totally confused. Do oil sealers offer UV protection in the formula? Is oil sealer better than water-based in my climate? Is the wax content in oil products a good thing or a bad thing in this climate. Help! Please! Thank you.

o

I live in Brooklyn and had a rooftop cedar deck which lasted 15 years and now 5 years into a mahogany replacement deck which looks a year old. No stain or sealer either - waste of time and money.

This would also be true of IPE - a friend has and IPE deck in Connecticut and it look fine after many years - and no stain or treatment. It costs, but it lasts.

All three decks turned silver gray after a year.

The framing is made of PT, with cedar walls (10+years) and the mahogany 5/4 x 6 decking. The pt is actually close to 30 yrs old .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Porches & Decks Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here