Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ponydoc_gw

Our IPE porches - pics.

ponydoc
15 years ago

Hi all

I have done a lot of lurking on this forum over the last year. We have built a new home. I had assumed we would use a composite for the large porches but every product the builder brought to me just didn't do it for me. When I did the research the composites didn't seem like such a large benefit over real wood. We finally chose IPE. Our local sawmill tracked it down for us. It was cheaper than a composite. It was installed late last fall - late October/November. It has weathered through a record year for snowfall AND rainfall.

We have finally treated it. We didn't use anything to clean it other than water and a wimpy power washer. We used TWP 116 based on what I have read here. It was a very simple process. We have barely had a day without rain for weeks. We finally thought we would have about 3 days.... but a thunderstorm popped up last night about 6 hours after we finished with the TWP. I swept the water this morning and it did OK.

Here are some pics. I know I appreciated pics when I was trying to figure out what to do!

We will probably do another coat before winter. Ignore the dog foot prints. Our home isn't completely done - we have been chomping at the bit to get these porches done though -

These pics are from this am..... still a little wet from rain. We have a lot of mud- and my dogs love to drag it onto the porch..... We also still need to seal the ends.... do I just use the TWP or something else?

Front porch

Side porch..... takes the most abuse and it probably did better than the larger porches!

Back porch

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dream Outdoor Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Providing Quality Home Improvements in South Riding for Over 30 Years